Craigslist Sues S.C. Attorney General; He Claims Victory Over Adult Ads

SAN FRANCISCO — In the latest shot in the battle over adult-oriented ads, Craigslist said it has filed suit against South Carolina Attorney General Henry McMaster.

Craigslist CEO Jim Buckmaster said in a blog post Wednesday that the company filed its suit in federal court in South Carolina and is seeking “declaratory relief and a restraining order with respect to criminal charges he has repeatedly threatened against Craigslist and its executives.”

McMaster last week presented Craigslist with a Friday-at-5.p.m ultimatum to remove portions of its site dedicated to South Carolina that “contains categories for and functions allowing for the solicitation of prostitution and the dissemination and posting of graphic pornographic material.”

The attorney general threatened criminal investigation and ultimately prosecution of its executive management if they wouldn’t comply.

At 5 p.m. on Friday, however, McMaster said that Craigslist failed to comply and said, “We have no alternative but to move forward with criminal investigation and potential prosecution.”

But on Wednesday, Buckmaster lashed out at the attorney general and said his actions are “unwarranted by the facts,” and “represent an unconstitutional prior restraint on free speech, and are clearly barred by federal law.”

McMaster on his blog Wednesday called Craigslist's legal action “good news” because “it shows that Craigslist is taking the matter seriously for the first time.”

“More importantly, overnight they have removed the erotic services section from their website, as we asked them to do,” he said. “And they are now taking responsibility for the content of their future advertisements.

“Unfortunately, we had to inform them of possible state criminal violations concerning their past practices to produce a serious response. We trust they will now adhere to the higher standards they have promised.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

XBIZ Miami's Host Hotel Sold Out, General Registration Now Open

Guest rooms at XBIZ Miami’s exclusive conference venue, Nautilus Sonesta Miami Beach hotel in South Beach, are now completely sold out.

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

Show More