Australia Ready to Test Web Filters

CANBERRA, Australia — Australia's mandatory net filtering system is being prepared to block 10,000 websites as part of a blacklist of "unwanted content." Some 1,300 websites have already been identified for blocking by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA), up from 1,000 at the beginning of the year.

Communications Minister Sen. Stephen Conroy revealed details of the government's proposed web filter this week. Internet service providers will test different ways to filter Internet content using volunteer subscribers. The trial will start before Christmas and is expected to last six weeks.

"The pilot will test filtering specifically against the ACMA blacklist of Internet prohibited content, which is mostly child pornography, as well as filtering of other unwanted content," Conroy said in response to a question by Sen. Scott Ludlum.

"The pilot will specifically test filtering against the ACMA blacklist of prohibited content, which is mostly child pornography, as well as filtering of other unwanted content," Conroy told Parliament. "While the ACMA blacklist is currently around 1300 URLs, the pilot will test against this list — as well as filtering for a range of URLs to around 10,000 — so that the impacts on network performance of a larger blacklist can be examined."

An ACMA trial of web filtering technology earlier this year found that filters could slow Internet access by at least 2 percent and as much as 87 percent.

Colin Jacobs, a board member of civil liberties advocacy group Electronic Frontiers Australia, said the group was concerned at what would be deemed "unwanted content."

"It is unclear how ACMA will scale up their blacklist to 10,000 websites and what will go on the list," Jacobs said. "Conroy said the list would contain illegal and unwanted content — but we still have to see what would end up on that list. Under the current mandate that includes adult material, which would mean most material that could be rated R and, in some circumstances, material rated MA15+."

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More