Germany Cracks Down on Child Porn Sites

BERLIN — A German federal panel has passed legislation that aims to block Internet pages containing child pornography and make it harder for individuals to profit from distributing the material.

The legislation is due to be signed into law by next month and the installation of software to block access to the sites will take more than three to six months.

Family Minister Ursula von der Leyen said areas in Britain, Italy and Scandinavian countries, which blocked access to child pornography websites several years ago, had been a model for Germany.

"If these countries can overcome any legal and technical issues and successfully fight child porn online, we can do the same in Germany," von der Leyen said.

All German Internet service providers will eventually have to adhere to the law. So far, the ISPs that have voluntarily agreed to sign a contract with the government and the Federal Crime Office cover 75 percent of the market.

Von der Leyen said the new measures could prevent about 80 percent of new consumers from gaining access to child pornography on the Internet.

Although the proposal has been welcomed by the federal telecommunications group Bitkom, the association's managing director Bernhard Rohleder warned against expecting the problems of child pornography to be solved.

Rohleder said that the proposed new law would have a limited effect because most child porn surfers would conceal their IP address and that many use peer-to-peer servers, which ISPs are powerless to control.

The ASACP's Tim Henning, who is the organization's technology and forensic research director, said he is encouraged that measures such as these have been implemented by countries in Europe.

"It will not solve the problem of child exploitation as there are methods to circumvent such technologies; however, it will certainly help to reduce child exploitation in these countries and filtering such content by ISPs is another tool that can be brought to bare in the fight to protect children,” Henning told XBIZ.

But, Henning said, "there is always a concern that a government may go too far in their filtering, which recently happened in Australia when the ISPs pulled out of the filtering test.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More