Apple Confirms: No Porn on iPhone

CUPERTINO, Calif. — On the heels of rejecting a nudity-filled app from its App Store, Apple has confirmed that it won’t allow porn on the iPhone, much to the confusion of everyone.

Yesterday, Apple approved an app called Hottest Girls, which delivers about 2,200 images of attractive women, including many topless shots, a first for the App Store.

Hours later, Apple removed the app from the American version of the App Store. The app is reportedly still available in Europe. The app's developer, known as Allen The Geek, said that Apple hadn’t banned the app, claiming that he simply removed the app because all the downloads kept crashing his servers.

But Apple soon released a statement to CNN that simultaneously blamed the developer for dishonestly submitting an adult app and confirmed the company’s policy against accepting porn.

The statement reads, “Apple will not distribute applications that contain inappropriate content, such as pornography. The developer of this application added inappropriate content directly from their server after the application had been approved and distributed, and after the developer had subsequently been asked to remove some offensive content. This was a direct violation of the terms of the iPhone Developer Program. The application is no longer available on the App Store.”

Apple’s reversal is drawing criticism from online pundits, including analyst MG Siegler of leading tech blog TechCrunch.com. Siegler wondered if anyone was "actually in charge" of setting standards for adult content over at Apple.

"I’m starting to think this whole system is run by a group of people, all with different thoughts on the approach Apple should take with apps," Siegler said. "And none of whom seem to communicate with each other very well."

Apple's rejection of the app would also seem to contradict its own policy. The company recently released the newest version of the iPhone operating system, which includes parental controls. The App Store reflects those new features with onscreen warnings about adult apps.

The Hottest Girls app itself included such language, including an onscreen prompt that appeared immediately before download and asked the user for confirmation of age.

"The App Store approval process has basically been a joke for much of the past year," Siegler said. "I was hopeful it would get better now that parental controls are a part of the iPhone 3.0 software. Apparently, I was wrong. It looks like it’s getting worse."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

Show More