AdultShop.com’s Board Rejects Sexyland’s $5.7M Offer

MELBOURNE — AdultShop.com’s board of directors on Tuesday rejected Sexyland’s $5.7 million (U.S.) takeover bid.

The board notes that Sexyland’s takeover offer “is at a substantial discount” and that each board member disapproved of the deal to sell AdultShop.com shares for 93 cents (U.S.) a share and 0.66 cents for each option.

AdultShop.com’s board have asked for shareholders to take no action on the matter, according to a statement to the Australian Securities Exchange.

Sexyland owner Angelo Abela earlier this month cited AdultShop.com’s share price and profit underperformance as justification for a bid.

Online sex emporium AdultShop.com is owned by Malcolm Day, whose empire at one time was worth about $110 million.

In 2000, just a year after it was listed as a public company in Australia, AdultShop.com was worth $660 million. Now its market value is just $2.6 million.

Day said Australian laws, which made the sale of adult films illegal in most Australian states, had limited the growth of AdultShop.com.

Sexyland describes its ''success is attributed to its friendly yet professional customer service coupled with warehouse-sized stores which have been uniquely designed and decorated to make shopping at Sexyland a fun and exciting experience.''

Sexyland, according to the statement made to the Australian Securities Exchange, indicated that it will formally bid for AdultShop.com on Oct. 31, sending AdultShop.com shareholders a proxy statement in about three weeks.

Day told the Australia Sunday Times last month he was considering privatizing AdultShop.com and looking at new business ventures. He said he wanted to raise up to $1.2 million to fund possible acquisitions in the ``technology, industrial and resources industries.”

Day said the company could go as far as replacing its board and himself as director.

“My knowledge could assist in finding the right deal — bearing in mind we would employ independent experts anyway — but then when the company found a deal I would probably come off as a director,'' he said.

“We haven't made any hard decisions yet, we're just doing the rights issue in the first step and then we're going to have a look at what opportunities are around.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Eldorado Releases 2026 Lingerie Catalog

Eldorado Trading Co. has released its 2026 Lingerie Catalog.

Pipedream Names Sunny Winkleman Account Executive

Pipedream Products has appointed Sunny Winkleman as its new account executive.

Nexus Expands 'Ascend' Line

Nexus has expanded its Ascend collection with the new Extreme thrusting and rotating massager.

Blush Expands 'Performance' Line With 3 New Penis Extender Sleeves

Blush has expanded its Performance collection with three new extender sleeves.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Nexus Expands 'Bendz' Collection

Nexus has introduced a collection of anal plugs from its Bendz line.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Orion Debuts 2 New Styles From Cottelli Lingerie

Orion Wholesale has introduced two new styles from its Cottelli Lingerie line.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Show More