Playboy, Posting Narrower Loss, Looking to Create ‘New Momentum’

CHICAGO — Playboy Enterprises on Thursday reported year-over-year fiscal improvement in its third quarter but still swung to a loss of $1.1 million for the quarter.

In a statement, Playboy CEO Scott Flanders admitted that the adult giant struggles with the problems of a single-brand property achieving scale, and he is looking to enhance the partnerships and licensing opportunities that will add that component while the core Playboy staff does what it “does well … creating content.”

The $1.1 million loss for the quarter was an improvement from the $6.2 million loss of the year-ago quarter. Overall, company revenue has declined to $56 million in the most recent period, compared to $70.4 million a year ago.

With its online adult business, Playboy said lower paysite sales drove the decrease in third quarter digital revenue to $9.6 million, down $1.3 million from the same period last year.

Flanders hinted that Playboy magazine will increase its use of cross-platform integrated programs, mobile as well as online games, and social network outreach to enhance the franchise.

“My goal is to better manage the power of this brand to accelerate the growth of our licensing business, create new momentum in our media businesses and develop a more efficient business model,” he said.

Playboy already has made a number of moves earmarked to shore up declining revenue.

The company recently lowered the flagship magazine's rate base effective with the January/February 2010 issue. And on Thursday Playboy revealed it terminated its deferred compensation plan for executives and has set its sight on “higher cost-recovery initiatives” at its Playboy Mansion in Los Angeles.

In separate news, former Playboy President Bob Meyers was named president and COO of TRA Inc., a New York-based media market research company. Meyers left Playboy six months ago after spending three years at the company.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Ryan Keely, Nicole Doshi Topline Latest From Sweetheart Video

Ryan Keely and Nicole Doshi headline the 19th volume of "Lesbian Adventures: Strap On Specialists" from Mile High Media's studio imprint Sweetheart Video.

Wendy Raine Fronts 'Mamma Mia' Parody From MYLF

Wendy Raine stars with Eva Nyx and Quinton James in a “Mamma Mia” parody from MYLF, titled “Memories Cumming to My Mind.”

Briella Coley Makes Her Evil Angel Debut

Briella Coley has made her debut for Evil Angel alongside director/performer Richard Mann.

Jasmine Sherni Takes the Spotlight in 2-Part Brazzers Release

Jasmine Sherni stars in the two-part Brazzers scene titled “TroubleMakerzz.”

Ofcom: Age Assurance Going Live Across 'Thousands' of Porn Sites

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom said in a statement Thursday that providers of online pornography are implementing age assurance across “thousands of sites” accessible in the U.K., in response to Ofcom’s Online Safety Act (OSA) enforcement program.

ASGMax Debuts 'Roleplay' AI Chat Feature

Alpha Studio Group (ASG) has introduced the ASGmax Roleplay AI chat feature.

Linda Lan Performs 1st Anal, Headlines Jonni Darkko's 2nd 'POV Anal Sluts'

Linda Lan performs her first anal scene and toplines director Jonni Darkko’s sequel to “POV Anal Sluts,” from Evil Angel.

XBIZ Miami's Host Hotel Sold Out, General Registration Now Open

Guest rooms at XBIZ Miami’s exclusive conference venue, Nautilus Sonesta Miami Beach hotel in South Beach, are now completely sold out.

Leana Lovings, Aria Banks Front Latest From Reality Kings

Leana Lovings and Aria Banks star in the latest release from Reality Kings, titled "Synchronized Scissoring."

Penthouse Names Lennon Elizabeth April's 'Pet of the Month'

Penthouse Magazine has named model Lennon Elizabeth as Pet of the Month for April.

Show More