Convictions Continue for International Child Porn Ring

SAN DIEGO — A former San Diego child counselor involved in an international child pornography ring was convicted Wednesday of child molestation and pornography, with special allegations that include bondage and sodomy.

A San Diego Superior Court jury deliberated for two days before convicting Paul Whitmore, 47, of 51 felony counts including committing lewd acts upon a child, aggravated sexual assault of a child and posing a minor for pictures and videos involving sexual conduct, which he distributed on the Internet.

Whitmore is currently awaiting his sentencing hearing scheduled for Feb. 3 and could be sent to prison for life. The former child counselor faces two years to 25 years in prison per conviction.

The case was originally brought to the attention of investigators when a group of parents were charged with sexually molesting and photographing their own children and swapping the pictures over the Internet in 2002. Since that time, “Operation Hamlet” has led to the arrest of 24 men in the U.S. and 10 convictions overseas. About six people with outstanding warrants in the case are believed to be living outside the U.S.

Prosecutors said Whitmore was one of the most active members of the ring. Investigators found child pornography he made on computers in five states, as well as in Denmark, Switzerland, Germany and Italy.

Investigators found 750,000 child pornography images during their initial bust of the pornography ring in the U.S. and Europe. More than 100 victims were identified including 37 U.S. children ranging in age from 2 years to 14 years, authorities said.

Previously, Whitmore was convicted in April 2004 on federal charges of conspiracy to sexually exploit children and sexually exploiting children. He faces a sentence between 17 years and 40 years in prison in that case.

Additionally, Brooke Lockwood Rowland, 44, a former advertising salesman from Poway who was also involved with the ring, pleaded guilty Oct. 7 to committing a lewd act upon a child and faces 15 years to life in prison.

Prosecutors and Whitmore's lawyer, Gary Roberts, have been under a judge-imposed gag order since October.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

JustFor.fans Wins Trademark Infringement Case Against Fraudulent Domain

The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) has ruled in favor of fan site JustFor.fans in a case against a website using an infringing domain.

Aylo Moves to Settle Two 'Children of Pornhub' Class-Action Lawsuits

Aylo has agreed to terms for a settlement with the plaintiffs in two long-running class actions over allegations that former Pornhub parent company MindGeek knowingly allowed and profited from CSAM on its sites.

FSC Hails Members, Allies in SCREEN Act Victory

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) released a statement today praising its members and allies after a successful lobbying effort to prevent the SCREEN Act, a nationwide age verification bill, from advancing out of the Commerce Committee for a full vote on the Senate floor.

SCREEN Act Stalls in Senate Committee Over Technicality

The Senate Commerce Committee on Wednesday voted to approve the SCREEN Act, which would mandate nationwide site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content online, but a procedural issue blocked the bill from advancing to the full Senate.

SCREEN Act Back in Play: Federal AV Bill Faces Senate Hearing

The U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation has slated a markup session this week for the SCREEN Act, which would mandate site-based age verification of users accessing adult content online on a national level.

Arcom Targets 31 Adult Sites Over Age Verification

French media regulator Arcom on Wednesday announced that it is taking action against 31 adult websites that the agency says have failed to implement age verification as required under France’s Security and Regulation of the Digital Space (SREN) law.

New 'PROTECT Act' Would Make North Carolina Rules for Adult Sites Federal Law

Senator Mike Lee of Utah on Thursday introduced legislation that would impose strict new federal rules on adult sites and platforms, strongly echoing similar regulations imposed last year in North Carolina.

Dutch Police Raid Servers Hosting 'Motherless' Website

A Dutch National Police Corps cybercrime team on Tuesday conducted raids on hosting companies in three cities, seizing servers owned or used by controversial adult website Motherless, as part of an investigation into possible illegal content.

Eporner Must Face Copyright Suit After Judge Affirms Jurisdiction

A U.S. district court has ruled that it has jurisdiction to hear a copyright infringement lawsuit brought by adult website operators against tube site Eporner, even though Eporner is based outside the United States.

Show More