U.S. Seeks Answers in China Cyber Attacks

WASHINGTON — The U.S. will demand an explanation from China about how recent cyber attacks occurred against Google and more than 30 companies. It also wants to know what Beijing intends to do about it.

The Chinese government, meanwhile, downplayed the attacks on Friday and called on Google and other companies to respect its rules and regulations and said no matter what decision the search giant makes on its China operations, it is unlikely to affect overall U.S.-China trade relations.

Earlier this week Google threatened to withdraw from China, saying it had discovered massive hacking against itself and more than 30 companies that emanated from China.

One of the companies attacked was the Los Angeles law firm of Gipson Hoffman & Pancione, which is representing Cybersitter LLC in a $2.2 billion suit against the Chinese government and seven major Asian computer makers.

Santa Barbara, Calif.-based Cybersitter claims that two Chinese software developers and the Chinese government pirated parts of its Internet filtering software for the Green Dam Youth Escort program.

Cybersitter alleges thousands of lines of its code were copied for Green Dam, which specifically blocks porn.

Last year China mandated that Green Dam be installed on all computers in China, but it backed down and made use of the software optional after an outcry from international businesses and Chinese citizens.

An official from Gipson Hoffman said the coincidence of the attacks and the fact they represent Green Dam paint a clear picture.

The law firm said that on Monday evening its attorneys began receiving Trojan emails, disguised to appear as emails from other members of the firm, constructed to retrieve data from the company's computers.

Meanwhile, with Google ready to pull out of China, experts speculate that Google’s Chinese domain names are in jeopardy now the search engine has announced to end its support for censorship of searches.

China could now take several measures to block access to Google China to the just-reported 384 million Internet users in the country.

One of the simplest steps would be to confiscate the Google.cn domain name and other names owned by the search giant. But services such as gmail would go on in China because they are independent of the Google.cn search engine.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More