YouTube Co-founder Allegedly Posted Pirated Videos, Viacom Suit Claims

SAN FRANCISCO — The copyright infringement lawsuit between Viacom and Google’s YouTube site is heating up, with the release of some sensitive information.

According to news.yahoo, the previously confidential information was released as evidence in a copyright infringement lawsuit Viacom filed against YouTube in 2007.

In one email exchange among YouTube co-founders Chad Hurley, Steve Chen and Jawed Karim, there appeared to be in-house copyright abuses.

"Jawed, please stop putting stolen videos on the site," Chen wrote in the July 19, 2005, email. "We're going to have a tough time defending the fact that we're not liable for the copyrighted material on the site because we didn't put it up when one of the co-founders is blatantly stealing content from other sites and trying to get everyone to see it."

In a statement after the documents were unsealed, YouTube said Chen's email was referring to some aviation videos that had been making the rounds on the Internet. "The exchange has nothing to do with supposed piracy of media content," YouTube said.

The documents were released because both companies are trying to persuade the judge to decide the case without going to trial.

According to records, Viacom wanted to buy YouTube at least seven months before it filed its lawsuit and often used the site to promote the shows on its cable TV stations.

Google ended up buying YouTube in 2006 and offered to pay Viacom $590 million for licensing rights to video. Instead, Viacom sued Google for $1 billion in damages, claiming that YouTube allowed protected video clips to appear on its site.

YouTube claimed it has always followed online copyright laws.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More