LA Libraries Get Half Million to Block Porn

LOS ANGELES — The Board of Supervisors is looking to clean up Los Angeles County libraries. But it’s not fixing holes in the roofs; not improving the plumbing; not hiring larger cleaning crews. Instead, the Board wants pornographic material completely blocked from library computers.

The Board unanimously passed a funding measure on Jan. 10 that will dole out $344,000 to libraries for the purchase of strict filtering technology, privacy screens around monitors and a complete redesign of where computers are stationed.

An additional $190,162 will go to the Department of Consumers Affairs for the purchase of new computer equipment.

The decision to allocate funding for filters follows an October measure that required libraries to begin using limited filters for sexually explicit content at all Los Angeles County library computers.

Spearheading the initiative since last year is Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael Antonovich, who has made clear his zero tolerance for pornographic content on library computers.

In August, the Board asked County Librarian Margaret Donnellan Todd to study Internet pornography in the county’s libraries, after which Todd returned with a five-step process she said would prevent children from accessing adult sites in the libraries, including “child only” computer stations and privacy screens surrounding every monitor.

Todd’s recommendations, however, met with Antonovich’s disapproval when she said libraries under her jurisdiction would not entirely restrict access to adult sites on library computers.

“The library makes no attempt to determine which sites meet the legal test of obscenity,” Todd said in her report.

In her report, Todd noted that federal law places the responsibility on parents to decide whether children receive filtered access to the Internet while at the library. Adults, she said, are free to choose which sites they visit.

“Library policy requires [only] that law enforcement be called if an adult is viewing what appears to be child pornography,” she said.

The debate over pornographic content on library computers in the city began in July after a Canyon Country woman complained that her 4-year-old daughter witnessed a man access several adult websites in plain view of other library patrons. The computer in question did not have the privacy screens Todd recommended in her proposal.

“We appreciate the work she’s done,” Tony Bell, Antonovich’s spokesperson, said of Todd’s proposal. “[But] it does not behoove the taxpayer or library staff to go to such an extent to preserve the computers for porn users in a public place.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More