First Time Video Gets Green Light in BitTorrent Lawsuit

CHICAGO — First Time Video was given the green light to proceed with its BitTorrent lawsuit against hundreds of people it said had pirated its content.

The Nevada-based company filed suit last year against 500 unknown defendants for infringing on its copyright.

First Time subpoenaed ISPs in an effort to smoke out the illegal poachers, but when the ISPs served its users, 21 of them moved to quash, four moved to dismiss and eight moved to sever.

The company decided however to dismiss certain defendants in June, taking some of the steam out of the suit.

U.S. District Judge Ruben Castillo rejected the remaining motions last week and said that the quash motions did not request the kind of privileged information protected by the federal rules or the Constitution.

Citing a precedent, Castillo wrote, "Anonymous speech does not enjoy absolute protection. Indeed, copyright infringement is not protected by the First Amendment.”

The Judge maintained that "a BitTorrent user may be express himself or herself through the files selected and made available to others in a manner that may be entitled to First Amendment protection," according to the 23-page ruling.

The defendants' motion also relied on the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, under which "a person or entity providing an electronic communication service to the public shall not knowingly divulge the contents of a communication."

Castillo said that although “the putative defendants’ First Amendment right to anonymous speech on the internet is implicated,”  the “courts have consistently held that Internet subscribers do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their subscriber information, as they have already conveyed such information to their ISPs."

The court also rejected the defendants' plea that the subpoenas would subject them to undue burden.

Another attempt to sever by the defendants can be filed at a later date, the court ruled.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Ofcom: Age Assurance Going Live Across 'Thousands' of Porn Sites

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom said in a statement Thursday that providers of online pornography are implementing age assurance across “thousands of sites” accessible in the U.K., in response to Ofcom’s Online Safety Act (OSA) enforcement program.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Ofcom Fines OnlyFans Parent Company Over Inaccurate Age Verification Reporting

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom has fined OnlyFans parent company Fenix International Ltd. $1.36 million for inaccurate reporting of its age verification measures.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

Age Verification Watch: Michigan Joins the AV Club, Some Laws Just Make No Sense

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Free Speech Groups Back SCOTUS Appeal of Georgia Strip Club Tax

Two civil liberties organizations filed an amicus brief Tuesday supporting a petition asking the U.S. Supreme Court to hear an appeal in a case involving whether a tax specifically aimed at adult entertainment establishments violates the First Amendment.

Swedish Court Rules LELO Products Do Not Infringe 'Invalid' Satisfyer Patent

A Swedish district court has ruled that a patent filed by Satisfyer parent company EIS GmbH is not valid, and therefore three products from pleasure brand LELO are not in violation.

North Dakota House Committee Questions Anti-Porn 'Public Health Hazard' Claim

The North Dakota House of Representatives Education Committee on Monday amended a resolution that would have recognized pornography as a “public health hazard,” instead replacing that language with a call for further study into whether such a designation is appropriate.

Wyoming Governor Signs Age Verification Law

Wyoming Governor Mark Gordon signed the state's new age verification bill into law yesterday.

Show More