Megaupload User Data Could Be Deleted by Thursday

WASHINGTON — Data from shut down cyberlocker site Megaupload users could start to be deleted by Thursday.

The U.S. Attorney's Office leading the prosecution of Hong Kong-based Megaupload and founder Kim Dotcom, aka Kim Schmitz, and his associates, told the Eastern District of Virginia court on Friday that the outside companies hosting Megaupload data — Carpathia Hosting Inc. and Cogent Communications — might begin deleting data on Feb. 2.

After a multi-country investigation, the U.S. Justice Department and the FBI last week blocked access to the site and charged its operators with running an international organized criminal enterprise allegedly responsible for "massive worldwide online piracy" of numerous types of copyrighted works, including porn.

In a letter to the court, the government said it copied some data from the servers but did not physically take it, and after it has executed its search warrants, it has no right to access the data.

The prosecutors said that the servers (some of which are in Virginia) are controlled by Carpathia and Cogent and issues about the future of the data must be resolved with them.

The government said, "The execution of those search warrants [on the servers] has now been completed. The United States copied selected Mega Servers and copied selected data from some of the other Mega Servers, but did not remove any of the Mega Servers from the premises.

"Now that the United States has completed execution of its search warrants, the United States has no continuing right to access the Mega Servers. The Mega Servers are not in the actual or constructive custody or control of the United States, but remain at the premises controlled by, and currently under the control of, Carpathia and Cogent. Should the defendants wish to obtain independent access to the Mega Servers, or coordinate third-party access to data housed on Mega Servers, that issue must be resolved directly with Cogent or Carpathia. It is our understanding that the hosting companies may begin deleting the contents of the servers beginning as early as February 2, 2012."

According to an AP report, Megaupload attorney Ira Rothken said Sunday that the government has frozen its money and that the company is working with prosecutors to try to keep the data from being erased.

He said at least 50 million Megaupload users have data in danger of being erased, and added that besides its customers, the data is important to Megaupload so it can defend itself in the legal case.

"We're cautiously optimistic at this point that because the United States, as well as Megaupload, should have a common desire to protect consumers, that this type of agreement will get done," he said.

Megaupload maintained that millions of users have not been able to access their personal data, that includes photos and documents since the government shut down.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

FSC Announces 2025 Board of Directors Election Nominees

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has announced the nominees for its 2025 Board of Directors election.

Canada Exempts Online Adult Content From 'CanCon' Quotas

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has updated its broadcasting regulatory policies, exempting streaming adult content from “made in Canada” requirements that apply to other online material.

Creator Law Firm 'OnlyFirm' Launches

Entertainment attorney Alex Lonstein has officially launched OnlyFirm.com for creators.

German Court Puts Pornhub, YouPorn 'Network Ban' on Hold

The Administrative Court of Düsseldorf has temporarily blocked the State Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (LfM) from forcing telecom providers to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

FSC: NC Law Invalidating Model Contracts Takes Effect December 1

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has issued a notice that North Carolina's Prevent Exploitation of Women and Minors Act goes into effect on December 1.

NYC Adult Businesses Seek SCOTUS Appeal in Zoning Case

Attorneys representing a group of New York City adult businesses are asking the U.S. Supreme Court to hear an appeal of a lower court’s decision allowing enforcement of a 2001 zoning law aimed at forcing adult retail stores out of most parts of New York City.

Ofcom Investigates More Sites in Wake of AV Traffic Shifts

U.K. media regulator Ofcom has launched investigations into 20 more adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act.

xHamster Settles Texas AV Lawsuit, Pays $120,000

Hammy Media, parent company of xHamster, has settled a lawsuit brought by the state of Texas over alleged noncompliance with the state’s age verification law, agreeing to pay a $120,000 penalty.

Show More