Justice Dept. Drops Salon.com Reporter's Subpoena in Isaacs Case

LOS ANGELES — Justice Department attorneys have backed down on requiring Salon.com reporter Tracy Clark-Flory to testify in the Ira Isaacs obscenity case.

Clark-Flory was prepared to fly from her San Francisco base to Los Angeles for trial Thursday after she was subpoenaed over dialogue she had with the fetish filmmaker in a Q&A conducted last year.

But late Tuesday, Clark-Flory said that Salon's attorneys were told by the government that her presence for the trial was no longer needed.

"Earlier this afternoon, my lawyers were alerted that the government had dropped the subpoena," Clark-Flory told XBIZ late Tuesday. "I'm not sure whether it had to do with the article I published this morning about the subpoena, or something else entirely."

Clark-Flory said prosecutors had previously "reassured us that the scope of questions would be limited to simply verifying that [Isaacs] said what I said he said and the surrounding circumstances."

She said that prosecutors wer focusing on one of numerous questions she posed to Isaacs in an interview with him last year.

The question and his response are the following:

Clark-Flory: "As far as your upcoming trial, one of your goals is to prove that your videos have artistic merit."

Isaacs: "I have to do that to sound not guilty."

Prosecutors contend that Isaacs from at least May 2004 and continuing to at least April 14, 2011, operated "a business engaging in the production, distribution, transportation and sale of obscene videos and movies."

The government in the case is targeting the movies "Mako’s First Time Scat," "Hollywood Scat Amateurs #7," "Hollywood Scat Amateurs #1" and "Japanese Doggie 3 Way."

Isaacs, in a 2-1/2 hour Daubert hearing in January 2011, was grilled for much of the time over his experience as an "artist." (The Daubert standard is a rule of evidence regarding the admissibility of expert witnesses' testimony during federal proceedings.)

Isaacs, a self-described filmmaker in the Postmodernism "Shock Art" style, has commercially worked as a graphic artist creating coupon mailers for cleaners and pizza parlor.  

At the hearing, Isaacs, among numerous responses, said that he has been published as an artist and has planned installations of his works.

"I have shown my work on the Internet; it's been discussed," he testified. "People  have blogged about it; people have talked about it."

The Isaacs trial at U.S. District Court in Los Angeles has already gotten underway with juror selection, which  continues Wednesday.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pure Taboo Debuts 'Behind the Scenes Documentary' for Latest 'Under the Bed'

Pure Taboo has released a behind-the-scenes documentary on its series “Under the Bed,” spotlighting the episode “The Growth.”

Connie Perignon Toplines David Perry's 'Sexual Desires 2'

Connie Perignon headlines director David Perry's “Sexual Desires 2” from Evil Angel.

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

Rae Sixty Nine Makes Her TransAngels Debut

Rae Sixty Nine has made her TransAngels debut opposite Adam x Lee in the studio’s latest release, titled “Cock Ride.”

Ariel Demure Toplines 'TS MILFs' From TransSensual

Reigning XMAs Trans Performer of the Year Ariel Demure headlines “TS MILFs,” the latest title from Mile High Media studio imprint TransSensual.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Lana Wolf Returns to Immoral Productions

British star Lana Wolf stars in a new two-part scene from Immoral Productions alongside Dean Van Damme and studio honcho “Porno” Dan Leal.

Lulu Chu, Connie Perignon Star in 'Locked, Cocked & Loaded' From Brazzers

Lulu Chu and Connie Perignon star with Victor Ray in the latest release from Brazzers, titled "Locked, Cocked & Loaded."

Adriana Chechik Returns to Evil Angel With Blowbang From Jonni Darkko

Adriana Chechik has returned to Evil Angel with a blowbang from director Jonni Darkko.

Show More