MPAA Files Friend-of-the-Court Brief in Porn Piracy Case

CHICAGO — Hollywood has sided with Flava Works in the gay porn company's appeal supporting a preliminary injunction issued against MyVidster.com, which allegedly poached and streamed its content.

On Thursday, the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) submitted a friend-of-the-court brief, supporting Flava Works in the long-running copyright infringement case.

MyVidster, operated by Marques Rondale Gunter, is a user-generated tube site that had been fingered by Flava Works for copyright violations.

Flava Works, which has been in business since 1999, offers content featuring black and Latino talent on a number of sites, including Cocodorm.com, PapiCock.com, ThugBoy.com, CocoBoyz.com FlavaMen.com and Thugsforsex.com.

A lower court last year held that Flava Works would likely succeed on copyright violation claims that MyVidster was secondarily liable for the direct infringement. But the case went to the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals after Gunter appealed an injunction.

Through the appeal, several companies and organizations have also filed friend-of-the-court briefs in the case — in support of Gunter. Google, Facebook, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Public Knowledge have all thrown their hats into the ring.

But the MPAA has sided with Flava Works, saying that MyVidster’s conduct in the case did not provide for safe harbors for providing digital storage space and information location tools.

"After receiving repeated notices about the infringing embedded videos on its service, MyVidster ignored the wrongful conduct instead of attempting to rid its service of bad actors," the MPAA said in the brief. "MyVidster initially refused to remove specific infringing links."

The MPAA continued in its brief that taking steps to thwart illegal conduct does not undermine technological progress or free speech. On the contrary, such steps facilitate those laudable objectives, it said.

Flava Works CEO Phillip Bleicher told XBIZ that the case is simple — "Marques Gunter used his website MyVidster.com as a vehicle to commit and contribute to massive amounts of theft."

"MyVidster is not just stealing our content, but dozens of small- and medium-sized porn companies (and individual amateurs) who may not be in a position to hire an attorney to stop sites like this from popping up," he said.

"For instance, we had a small home-based company contact us for help in writing a DMCA notice to MyVidster," he said. "They found over three dozen videos on MyVidster that belonged to this guy. When he contacted MyVidster, their response was 'MyVidster is a bookmarking site and not a video host'  — which is bullshit."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More