ICM Registry to Sue U.S., Appeals ICANN Decision

JUPITER, Fla. — ICM Registry will file a lawsuit against the U.S. government today in order to gain access to information withheld in a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request made in October.

ICM, which was unsuccessful in its bid for adults-only sponsored top-level domain .XXX, is seeking information that will provide the “extra evidence that provides the irrefutable proof” that the U.S. government intervened in the issue to prevent .XXX going ahead, ICM Registry’s Stuart Lawley told XBIZ

Lawley contended that, if true, it would also contradict public statements made by the Commerce Department that it “plays no role” in the day-to-day running of the Internet.

Last week, ICANN’s board, 9-5, rejected ICM’s bid out of “public policy concerns.” The company, based in both Jupiter, Fla., and Toronto, began its bid for the .XXX sTLD six years ago. ICM pledged to donate $10 of the proposed annual fee of $60 for a .XXX domain name to child-protection groups and to require users of .XXX to label their content.

ICANN, a nonprofit that operates under a memorandum of understanding with the Commerce Department, had initially approved moving forward with the proposal last June, but reversed the decision after the Commerce Department requested further review of the application.

ICM claims that the Commerce Department redacted 120 pages of 1,600 documents that the company requested in the FOIA. The company is trying to prove that the Commerce Department overstepped its authority by lobbying hard against .XXX.

“Our story needs to be told,” Lawley said. “We’ve been done wrong. I think what’s going on here is already clear, but I want the extra evidence.”

Meanwhile, ICM Registry has filed a reconsideration request with ICANN, claiming that the board voted on inaccurate information, were unaware of the “inappropriate involvement of the U.S. government in this process,” and had been misled by ICANN officials relative to contract negotiations with ICM.

That request will be reviewed by four of ICANN’s board members, three of whom voted against .XXX last week.

Lawley said that he's "not sure" how the ICANN review will go.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Supreme Court Rejects Trump Tariffs

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday ruled against the Trump administration’s sweeping tariffs, which have significantly impacted the pleasure industry.

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

Show More