S. Korea Obscenity Conviction Is Tossed

SEOUL — A law professor here was acquitted Thursday on charges that he posted a series of photographs showing male genitals on his blog.

Kyungsin Park, a professor of Korea University, was charged in February with violating the country’s online obscenity law.

Park, at the time of the indictment, was a commissioner of the South Korea Communications Standards Commission, a government agency with an authority to delete Internet content it considered harmful.

He had taken it upon his own to post the photos on his own blog after the commission deleted an Internet users' photos without giving its original owner a chance to defend himself.

Park posted the photos on his own blog, called “Censor’s Diary,” and invited a debate of the commission’s decision.

On Thursday, an appeals court reversed a lower court's ruling finding him guilty for violating South Korea's obscenity law. In the lower court ruling, he was fined $2,700.

The appeals court said Park’s posting could not be ruled indecent because the photos should be viewed in the context of his attempt to criticize the government’s regulations on online content.

Park was one of the few members of South Korea's regulatory board appointed by opposition parties and was an ardent critic of its recent policies.

South Korean communications regulators have more than tripled the number of posts removed or blocked, to more than 53,000 last year from 15,000 in 2008, for such violations as posting pornography, using profanity or supporting North Korea.

Government critics said the heightened Internet surveillance began early in President Lee Myung-bak's term after his government accused political enemies of using the web to organize mass demonstrations in 2008 against a decision to import American beef.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

XBIZ Miami's Host Hotel Sold Out, General Registration Now Open

Guest rooms at XBIZ Miami’s exclusive conference venue, Nautilus Sonesta Miami Beach hotel in South Beach, are now completely sold out.

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

Show More