British Internet Expert Calls on Google to Block Porn

LONDON — A British government child protection adviser is calling on Google to block access to hardcore porn sites.

John Carr, a member of the Internet Task Force on Child Protection reportedly blamed search engines as a gateway to websites advertising "Teen Sex" and "Barely Legal" that he said are code words for pedophiles seeking images of child abuse.

The Internet expert wants "default" blocking on search engines that would force users to register to view porn. He plans on raising the issue in a meeting with Google and the next gathering of the government's Internet task force.

"Google's moral leadership is essential here. They are the biggest players in this world. If they [were to block it], others would have to follow," Carr told the BBC Radio Four's Today program.

Carr’s actions have been sparked by Britain’s concern over the link between extreme porn and violent crime, citing the murder of five-year-old April Jones, whose murderer — Mark Bridger — reportedly had been looking at indecent online images of child abuse and rape shortly before the crime.

A Google spokesman said Internet companies are working "incredibly hard" to prevent people accessing images of child abuse.

Some child protection groups suggest that web companies introduce online warnings, threatening possible prosecution when users attempt to access explicit sites.

A confidential British hotline used to flag criminal content online revealed that it had seen a 32 percent increase in reports of images showing the rape and sexual torture of children.

Scott Rubin, the director of communications and public affairs at Google told The Telegraph, “Google has a zero-tolerance policy on child sexual abuse content. We are members and joint funders of the Internet Watch Foundation, an independent body that searches the web for child abuse imagery and then sends us links, which we remove from our search index. When we discover child abuse imagery or are made aware of it, we respond quickly to remove and report it to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

XBIZ Miami's Host Hotel Sold Out, General Registration Now Open

Guest rooms at XBIZ Miami’s exclusive conference venue, Nautilus Sonesta Miami Beach hotel in South Beach, are now completely sold out.

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

Show More