WH Smith Takes Entire Site Offline After Porn E-book Scandal

LONDON — WH Smith, calling some of its e-book titles it sells "unacceptable," has taken its entire U.K. site offline until all "abuse-themed" titles are removed from its product listings.

The move by the brick-and-mortar and online retailer, comes after last week's revelation by technology news site The Kernel that Amazon, WH Smith, Barnes & Noble and other retailers were selling "porn e-books" featuring incest, rape and bestiality on their sites.

WH Smith takes e-book content — about 1 million titles — from Kobo.com, which said in a statement that it  was "working quickly to review its catalog and remove the content, authors and publishers in question."

E-books have grown in popularity along with e-readers and tablet computers, but retailers have been struggling to filter explicit adult content that breaches their website guidelines.

WH Smith officials said that due to the massive amount of self publishing, "a number of these titles got through the screening process."

Visitors to the WHSmith.co.uk website in the meantime have been greeted by a flash-page statement that says: "Our website will become live again once all self published e-books have been removed and we are totally sure that there are no offending titles available."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

STD Hero Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Better Life Science brand STD Hero has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

Show More