U.S. to Continue Supremacy Over ICANN

WASHINGTON — Critics of a U.S.-controlled ICANN will have to wait several more years before the organization that governs the Internet becomes fully independent. The U.S. Commerce Department said Wednesday that it would continue its authority over ICANN for the immediate future.

With a Sept. 30 deadline to renew authority of ICANN or cede control of the organization, John Kneuer, an acting assistant secretary of Commerce, said his department would retain control for between one and three years.

Kneuer confirmed the Commerce decision after a Senate Commerce Committee hearing.

"We're in discussions on amending and extending it, and some time between now and Sept. 30, I expect us to do that," Kneuer said.

The existing three-year agreement, which had been set to expire at the end of the month, gave the U.S. government control over the popular top-level domain .com, as well as country-specific TLDs.

Kneuer stressed that the U.S. was committed to an independent ICANN in the long-term, but for now, he said, issues of accountability and transparency had to be resolved.

David McGuire of the Center for Democracy and Technology said that letting ICANN go too early wouldn’t necessarily mean that the organization would be independent, given the possibility that it could fall under United Nations control.

"What we ultimately would love to see would be a completely non-governmental, bottoms-up management body," McGuire said. "At this point, that's just not something we think is necessarily even viable."

Many critics of a U.S.-backed ICANN blame the Commerce Department for the death of .XXX, the proposed TLD for adult entertainment sites.

But with the controversy of .XXX now a distant memory, another potential battle looms between a less than autonomous ICANN and the U.S. government.

ICANN has expressed an interest in changing the Whois requirements to restrict access, which it says would protect the privacy of website operators.

Under current policy, website operators must submit contact information properly identifying the site owner to the Whois database.

The Federal Trade Commission has gone on record saying that it needs access to that information to purse online crime, including spam, spyware and identity theft.

"The future of ICANN is really on the line here," Federal Trade Commissioner Jon Leibowitz said. "For the past decade we have used Whois databases in virtually all of our Internet investigations. It is often one of the first tools we use to identify wrongdoers.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More