EFF Sues FBI Seeking Information on Electronic Surveillance

WASHINGTON — Attorneys for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a San Francisco-based privacy advocacy group, have filed suit against the FBI under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) to request records pertaining to the successors of the government’s abandoned electronic surveillance program codenamed Carnivore.

The EFF said it was suing the Justice Department because the FBI did not respond in time to its FOIA request for records on the DCS-3000 and Red Hook programs.

Attorneys for the EFF’s newly opened Washington-based litigation office say both programs grew out of the defunct Carnivore system, which the FBI developed to read emails and other online communications among suspected terrorist, criminal and spies.

The EFF said Carnivore and its progeny allow the FBI to collect much more than could be legally obtained by warrant.

“The lawsuit is to force the FBI to release information about this to the public," EFF staff attorney Marcia Hofmann said, adding the group planned to explore other legal options in the coming weeks.

According to Hofmann, a FOIA request carries a 20-day deadline, which the FBI failed to meet in this instance.

The request was made as part of the EFF’s FOIA Litigation for Accountable Government (FLAG) Project, designed to use the Act to expose the government’s expanding use of technologies to invade privacy.

The FBI lawsuit marks the first use of litigation under FOIA by the EFF’s FLAG Project, which launched last month.

"Transparency is critical to the functioning of our democracy, especially when the government seeks to hide activities that affect the rights of citizens," EFF's FLAG Project Director David Sobel said. “We have recently seen numerous instances where federal agencies have sought to conceal surveillance activities that raise serious legal issues."

According to the EFF, the FBI spent nearly $10 million on DCS-3000, which was designed as an “interim solution to intercept personal communications services delivered via emerging digital technologies.”

The EFF also said the FBI spent $1.5 million on Red Hook, which is a system used to collect voice and data calls.

Information on both programs was obtained by the EFF from a March inspector general audit report.

The FBI said it would not comment on the pending lawsuit.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Appeals Court Upholds Section 230 Immunity in XVideos Case

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit has upheld a lower court’s ruling that Section 230 protects WebGroup Czech Republic from liability in a case involving user-uploaded CSAM on its tube sites.

JustFor.fans Wins Trademark Infringement Case Against Fraudulent Domain

The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) has ruled in favor of JustFor.fans in a case against a website using an infringing domain.

Aylo Moves to Settle Two 'Children of Pornhub' Class-Action Lawsuits

Aylo has agreed to terms for a settlement with the plaintiffs in two long-running class actions over allegations that former Pornhub parent company MindGeek knowingly allowed and profited from CSAM on its sites.

FSC Hails Members, Allies in SCREEN Act Victory

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) released a statement today praising its members and allies after a successful lobbying effort to prevent the SCREEN Act, a nationwide age verification bill, from advancing out of the Commerce Committee for a full vote on the Senate floor.

SCREEN Act Stalls in Senate Committee Over Technicality

The Senate Commerce Committee on Wednesday voted to approve the SCREEN Act, which would mandate nationwide site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content online, but a procedural issue blocked the bill from advancing to the full Senate.

SCREEN Act Back in Play: Federal AV Bill Faces Senate Hearing

The U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation has slated a markup session this week for the SCREEN Act, which would mandate site-based age verification of users accessing adult content online on a national level.

Arcom Targets 31 Adult Sites Over Age Verification

French media regulator Arcom on Wednesday announced that it is taking action against 31 adult websites that the agency says have failed to implement age verification as required under France’s Security and Regulation of the Digital Space (SREN) law.

New 'PROTECT Act' Would Make North Carolina Rules for Adult Sites Federal Law

Senator Mike Lee of Utah on Thursday introduced legislation that would impose strict new federal rules on adult sites and platforms, strongly echoing similar regulations imposed last year in North Carolina.

Dutch Police Raid Servers Hosting 'Motherless' Website

A Dutch National Police Corps cybercrime team on Tuesday conducted raids on hosting companies in three cities, seizing servers owned or used by controversial adult website Motherless, as part of an investigation into possible illegal content.

Show More