Will the FCC Read All Net Neutrality Comments?

WASHINGTON — The FCC, currently taking comments on a net neutrality proposal, has about 50,000 of them from the public so far.

The comments are intended to influence the FCC's chair and board, which voted three weeks ago to advance new rules that would ban ISPs from blocking or throttling websites but allow them to make deals with content providers for preferential treatment.

The proposals are now open to public comment for 39 more days, followed by another 60 days for replies. The FCC has invited input from all parties on a host of issues, including whether broadband should be reclassified as a public utility, allowing for far-greater regulation.

But with thousands upon thousands of comments already logged, and many more coming through, how in the world will all of them get read and digested?

“All comments are reviewed and read by a team of people who specialize in the area of policy to make sure all viewpoints are accounted for,” FCC spokeswoman Kim Hart told the Wall Street Journal.

Hart said that the FCC's Wireline Competition Bureau, which works to ensure that all Americans have access to robust, affordable broadband and voice services, has been designated to read all of the comments that have been sent via email and the FCC’s website.

A team of about a dozen in the bureau is designated to review comments, she said. Some will be forwarded on to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler and commissioners to read directly.

Comments that get flagged and forwarded, she noted, will be ones that offer a particular interesting legal argument or a comment by a company that is directly affected.

The FCC has never received this many comments. The closest number to the net neutrality issue was the Janet Jackson “wardrobe malfunction” at the 2004 Super Bowl.

Public comment on the new FCC net neutrality proposal can be made here.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More