U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Finds Joe Francis in Contempt

LOS ANGELES — A federal bankruptcy judge on Thursday found former Girls Gone Wild mogul Joe Francis in civil contempt, imposing reimbursement of more than $40,000 in attorneys fees to a trustee and ordering $5,000-per-day sanctions for not returning two company vehicles.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Sandra Klein, in her 31-page ruling, said that Francis had violated a consent order and preliminary injunction that barred him from communicating with or harassing Girls Gone Wild employees, coming within 100 feet of its offices and interfering with the trustee's control of assets.

Klein awarded $40,000 in attorneys fees to the trustee and likely will grant another $20,000 later this month.

"The court need not and will not make a credibility determination regarding what occurred because the trustee based the contempt motion on the fact that Francis [and his girlfriend's] entering the premises violated the preliminary injunction," Klein wrote.

In previous court documents, Francis told the court that he traveled over to the offices because he was concerned that the new owners — GGW Acquisition LLC  — would remove some of his property. 

GGW Acquisition bought the company for $1.825 million and took over its office lease earlier this year at bankruptcy auction.

Francis alleged in a declaration that his girlfriend, five months pregnant with twins, was "pushed and physically assaulted and battered" by a security guard hired by GGW Acquisition.

Later, a GGW Acquisition executive made a citizen's arrest and police were called. Francis was arrested on misdemeanor assault charges and spent that night in jail. He was released the following morning on $20,000 bail.

Last month, Klein warned of $5,000-per-day sanctions, without limitation, against Francis until two Girls Gone Wild company vehicles — a 2012 Bentley Flying Spur, which is valued at about $200,000, and a 2007 Cadillac Escalade — were handed over to the trustee involved in the bankruptcy.

On Thursday, she imposed those daily sanctions until the cars are returned.

Francis last month told the court that the cars were seized by a creditor in Guadalajara, Mexico.

In a declaration, Francis said that the seizure of the vehicles took place one year before debtors for Girls Gone Wild filed bankruptcy.

He declared to the court that because Girls Gone Wild failed to fulfill obligations under a promotional agreement several years ago with a local strip club, that the owner of the club — called "DGL ITSMO SA DE CV" — had a right to possession of the cars.

"Under Mexico law, I am powerless to retrieve the vehicles and the [strip club owner] refuses to return them," Francis said in the declaration.

But Klein poked holes through Francis' declaration Thursday.

"Francis' assertion that the vehicles were taken and that he cannot get them back is both difficult to believe and sufficient to demonstrate impossibility," she wrote.

Klein also noted that Francis' declaration was "self-serving" and that a declaration by a representative of DGL ITSMO SA DE CV was inadmissible because the testimony didn't follow conventional standards.

She further said that Francis never explained why the vehicles were in Mexico in the first place, and that she was skeptical over the timing of his declaration and why he never reported the seizures to authorities.

"[T]he timing of the alleged taking of the vehicles is suspect, given that Francis claims it occurred just a few days before the date Francis was required to turn the vehicles over to the trustee," Klein said.

Klein said she would continue the civil contempt hearing against Francis to July 31.

Klein said that if Francis hasn't complied with her ruling by that time, the court will consider other sanctions, including the issuance of an arrest warrant for him.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Jade Kimiko, Cecelia Taylor Headline 'Women Seeking Women 199'

Jade Kimiko and Cecelia Taylor topline “Women Seeking Women 199” from Girlfriends Films.

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Kaela Luna Makes Her TransAngels Debut

Kaela Luna has made her TransAngles debut alongside Parker Savage and Harrison Feels in “Jackhammering Kaela.”

Adult Time Marks April Fool's Day With 5 Satirical Releases

Adult Time is marking April Fool’s Day with the release of satirical scenes from five of its series.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

Adult Time Wraps Production on Bree Mills' Feature 'Escape From Camp Conversion'

Adult Time has wrapped production on its latest feature, the Bree Mills-helmed "Escape From Camp Conversion," from its Girlcore studio brand.

Daisy Fox Makes Her TeamSkeet Debut

Daisy Fox makes her TeamSkeet debut in the latest episode of the studio series "She's New," titled "A Foxy Little Newcomer," with Nicky Rebel.

Elizabeth Skylar Performs Her 1st B/B/G in Latest From New Sensations

Elizabeth Skylar has performed her first B/B/G in the latest scene from New Sensations, with Codey Steele and Milan Ponjevic.

Show More