ICANN Revisits .XXX Proposal

MARINA DEL REY, Calif. — ICANN has decided to revisit the issue of a .XXX sTLD registry nearly eight months after its board shelved ICM Registry’s plan.

If approved, ICM would be required to help develop requirements that would create mechanisms to regulate companies that choose .XXX. ICM’s board shot down the original measure in May, 9-5.

“ICM has continued to work to modify the agreement in order to address public policy issues raised,” ICANN said in a posting on its website. “ICM and ICANN staff have been renegotiating a revised agreement for community review and board consideration.”

ICANN officials said that it would create a public comment period through Feb. 5.

With the issue again in the online adult spotlight, Jupiter, Fla.-based ICM would be required to contract third parties to monitor registrant compliance with content site-labeling requirements. It also would be required to create a set of “best practices” to protect children online and fund the International Foundation for Online Responsibility, an independent organization ICM has said it would create if approved.

The use of the proposed .XXX domain name would remain voluntary, but any online site that choose to use it would be subject to the new terms.

ICM, as in the original proposal, pledges to donate $10 of the proposed annual fee of $60 for a .XXX domain name to child-protection groups and to require users of .XXX to label their content.

Already, ICM has a long list of companies that have pre-registered for .XXX domain names. ICM President Stuart Lawley said that pre-registration for .XXX has been so successful that, if converted to registrations, it would be the most successful in Internet history.

“We have invested a lot of time and effort into this initiative and are determined to see it through to completion,” Lawley told XBIZ Saturday. "As ICANN have been at pains to point out the .XXX application was never rejected. We have spent a great deal of time over the last eight months negotiating closely with ICANN's general counsel, president and even outside counsel to ensure that the new contract absolutely addressed all of the concerns put forward by ICANN's directors in May last year."

"We are confident that this contract includes all the safeguards that ICANN were seeking and should correspondingly be ratified in due course," he said.

.XXX opponent Brandon Shalton on Saturday told XBIZ that the Department of Commerce’s involvement was one of the reasons .XXX was rejected last May.

“The U.S. government weighing in against .XXX was a major reason for the thumbs-down vote, and we all thought that was it,” he said. “But apparently, there is a lot of ulterior motives and additional players involved that is keeping this TLD application alive.”

ICANN’s latest proposal on .XXX can be viewed here.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

STD Hero Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Better Life Science brand STD Hero has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

2026 XBIZ Miami Speaker, Open-Floor Conversation Guide Lineup Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full speaker lineup for XBIZ Miami, the latest edition of the adult industry’s premier summer conference, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in Miami Beach.

2026 XBIZ Miami Conference Schedule Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full show schedule for XBIZ Miami, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in South Beach.

Show More