ICANN Chief Hails Mobile as Avenue for Online Growth

BANGALORE, India — During a recent visit to one of the subcontinent’s technology hubs, ICANN Chairman and Google Vice President Vinton Cerf told reporters that mobile technology and the proliferation of cellphones worldwide would account for the next big increase in Internet access.

According to Cerf, only one in six people on the planet have access to the Internet. With 1.1 billion people online and 2.5 billion people using mobile phones, Cerf said the future of the Internet is in the hands of cellphone users as next-generation devices come with Internet-enabled technology.

“There are an enormous number of applications available on mobiles,” Cerf said. “[But] you will get those other 5.5 billion people only when affordability increases and the cost of communication goes down. The mobile phone has become an important factor in the Internet revolution.”

One advantage Cerf said mobile has over computers is price, especially for users in developing countries such as China and India — the No. 1 and No. 2 most populous nations, respectively.

In India, where Cerf visited Google’s research and development facility, the mobile market is growing by close to 6 million users per month.

Less than 4 percent of Indians — about 40 million people — access the Internet using computers.

Last week, British telecom giant Vodafone Group won a bidding war for a controlling stake in India’s fourth largest mobile phone carrier — Hutchinson Telecommunications International. The deal, which analysts called a boon for Vodafone, cost the firm $11.1 billion for 16 percent of the booming Indian market.

Vodafone’s entry into the Indian market is expected to increase competition and further drop prices on mobile devices, something Cerf said will lead to greater numbers of Indians using cellphones to go online.

In the meantime, Cerf also took the opportunity to respond to critics of the Internet who say that cyberspace is rife with crime and vice.

Cerf called the Internet a mirror of the population who uses it and said that what exists in the world exists online and vice versa.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More