White House May Have Tried to Purge All U.S. Attorneys, Obscenity an Issue

WASHINGTON — A Congressional investigation into the dismissal of eight U.S. attorneys last year has revealed that at least one prosecutor may have been discharged because he disagreed with the Bush administration on the issue of obscenity, and that the White House had looked into replacing all U.S. attorneys to drastically redefine the policies of the Justice Department.

Last week, The House Judiciary Committee launched an investigation of precisely why eight U.S. attorneys, who serve at the pleasure of the President, were dismissed in December.

Initially officials at the Justice Department said all eight were dismissed because of concerns about their job performance. However, the same sources now say at least some of the eight federal prosecutors were fired because of policy reasons.

On Tuesday, House Democrats investigating the matter released several documents in connection with the case.

“The latest round of disclosures from the Department of Justice raise new and troubling questions about the firing of six U.S. attorneys,” said Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. John Conyers Jr., D-Mich. “We have just received documents from the Justice Department in the last hour and are in the process of reviewing them. At a minimum, we believe these documents show a coordinated effort, initiated by the White House, to purge every U.S. attorney in the country.”

One of the documents Conyers released to the media called into question the administration’s reason for firing Arizona U.S. attorney Paul Charlton.

Initially Justice officials said Charlton was dismissed because of his views on the death penalty, but a Justice Department email suggested that Charlton was dismissed in part because of his views regarding prosecutions for obscenity and marijuana smuggling cases involving less than 500 pounds of the drug.

None of the documents released in connection with Charlton’s dismissal mentioned his views on the death penalty.

According to Ann Harwood, the first assistant U.S. attorney for Arizona, Charlton’s office did pursue at least one obscenity case at the urging of officials at the Justice Department. But it is unclear if that case, or another case, lead to some fallout between Charlton and officials in Washington.

“I'm not sure if this is the one they wanted us to take or if there was another one,” she said.

Charlton has declined to comment on the ongoing investigation.

At the same time that Conyers released his statement to the press, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales announced that his chief of staff, Kyle Sampson, who orchestrated the purge, had resigned.

“I acknowledge that mistakes were made here,” Gonzales said. “I accept that responsibility. And my pledge to the American people is to find out what went wrong here, to assess accountability and to make improvements so that the mistakes that occurred in this instance do not occur again in the future.”

The White House has maintained that the President merely signed off on the dismissal of the eight U.S. attorneys, but did not tell Justice which prosecutors to put on the list. The records released Tuesday contradict that assertion by detailing a 2005 White House inquiry into firing all 93 U.S. attorneys.

Conyers vowed to find the truth behind the dismissal of the eight U.S. attorneys.

“We will get to the bottom of this crisis in our Justice Department with or without cooperation,” he said. “The U.S. attorneys are entrusted with tremendous power in our criminal justice system. Using the U.S. attorneys as political pawns undermines their critical work in fighting terrorism and risks subjecting the power of the prosecutor to partisan whims.”

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Ofcom Fines OnlyFans Parent Company Over Inaccurate Age Verification Reporting

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom has fined OnlyFans parent company Fenix International Ltd. $1.36 million for inaccurate reporting of its age verification measures.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

Age Verification Watch: Michigan Joins the AV Club, Some Laws Just Make No Sense

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Free Speech Groups Back SCOTUS Appeal of Georgia Strip Club Tax

Two civil liberties organizations filed an amicus brief Tuesday supporting a petition asking the U.S. Supreme Court to hear an appeal in a case involving whether a tax specifically aimed at adult entertainment establishments violates the First Amendment.

Swedish Court Rules LELO Products Do Not Infringe 'Invalid' Satisfyer Patent

A Swedish district court has ruled that a patent filed by Satisfyer parent company EIS GmbH is not valid, and therefore three products from pleasure brand LELO are not in violation.

North Dakota House Committee Questions Anti-Porn 'Public Health Hazard' Claim

The North Dakota House of Representatives Education Committee on Monday amended a resolution that would have recognized pornography as a “public health hazard,” instead replacing that language with a call for further study into whether such a designation is appropriate.

Wyoming Governor Signs Age Verification Law

Wyoming Governor Mark Gordon signed the state's new age verification bill into law yesterday.

Florida Bill Would Auto-Filter Porn for All Users, Not Just Minors

Florida lawmakers have introduced legislation to require manufacturers to equip tablets and smartphones with a filter that would prevent all users from accessing material deemed harmful to minors, to be automatically enabled on devices activated in that state.

Show More