Google Strengthens Online Privacy

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — Online search giant Google said it has updated and strengthened its data retention policy with an eye toward further protecting user privacy with respect to search queries, IP addresses and cookie details.

Google, which had previously done battle with the Justice Department over a request to turnover Internet queries and other user information to buttress the government’s case in favor of the 1998 Child Online Protection Act (COPA), said it would not retain data any longer than it had to.

“Previously, we kept this data for as long as it was useful,” said Google deputy general counsel Nicole Wong. “Today we're pleased to report a change in our privacy policy: Unless we're legally required to retain log data for longer, we will anonymize our server logs after a limited period of time.”

Law enforcement officials routinely request Internet service providers such as Google to turn over user data in connection with ongoing criminal investigations.

Last March, U.S. District Judge James Ware settled Google’s dispute with the Justice Department when he ordered the search engine to turn over 50,000 random website addresses but declined to give the government access to 5,000 Internet queries.

Google said its new policy would strike a balance between user privacy and practicality. The data will be stored anonymously to help Google analyze user search patterns to maximize search capabilities, but it will not be available to identify an individual user after 18-24 months.

Electronic Frontier Foundation attorney Kurt Opsahl praised Google’s decision, calling it an “extra layer of protection” for users.

“You are talking about a potential treasure trove of information,” Opsahl said. “A person's searches reflect their dreams, hopes and fears.”

Wong said Google developed its new policy by working in conjunction with privacy advocates in the U.S. and Europe. However, she did caution that changes in U.S. law could force the company to reexamine its position.

Earlier this month, the Bush Administration said it would support legislation that would require Internet service providers to retain user data.

In October, FBI Director Robert Mueller barnstormed the country to drum up support among law enforcement officers for mandatory ISP data retention.

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales also has called upon Congress to draft such legislation.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More