Rentboy.com CEO Pleads Not Guilty

Rentboy.com CEO Pleads Not Guilty

UPDATED (2:50 p.m.): Hurant makes statement after today's hearing. "I was not alone as I faced the frightening judicial juggernaut," he said.

BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Jeffrey Hurant, the former CEO of the gay escort website Rentboy.com, pleaded not guilty this morning to promoting prostitution and money laundering, but apparently he is trying to cut a deal with federal prosecutors.

Federal prosecutor Tyler Smith informed a magistrate judge today that Hurant and the government have been engaged in plea negotiations to resolve the case.

The 30-minute hearing at Brookly federal court was attended by Hurant’s supporters.

Gay rights activist William Dobbs, who was at the hearing today, told XBIZ that "several dozen people protested outside the courthouse calling for the charges to be dropped and for the decriminalization of sex work."

Last month, a federal grand jury indicted Hurant on two counts of using his parent company Easy Rent Systems as a front to promote prostitution and to launder money.

Hurant was released on a $350,000 bond after his August arrest and has defended his online hookup operation as perfectly legal.

Before authorities shut the website and offices down, Rentboy.com garnered about 500,000 unique visitors each day, according to an indictment.

Prosecutors said the website Hurant founded in 1997 took in at least $10 million in annual revenue.

According to the indictment, Hurant and staff charged advertisers up to about $300 per ad. Advertisers were encouraged to publish their penis size, build, indicate whether they had foreskin and whether they preferred to have safe sex or bareback sex.

Rentboy.com employees would monitor escorts' ads and reject suspicious ones that blatantly advertised sex. They would send emails back to users, saying: "If you describe a sex act to be performed in exchange for money, the authorities may use it as evidence in prosecuting you.”

The indictment also noted that Rentboy failed to verify ages of those who advertised on its site, especially in Asia since at least 2006.

Hurant is represented by attorney Michael Tremonte of Sher Tremonte LLP in New York. Tremonte is a former federal prosecutor who now handles commercial litigation and white collar defense.

Hurant, after the hearing today, posted on Facebook, “I want to thank everyone who braved the cold today and showed support at the courthouse.”

“I am humbly grateful for your efforts today,” Hurant said. “Your faces made me feel that I was not alone as I faced the frightening judicial juggernaut. I will be eternally grateful for that. I wish for support, strength and peace for everyone enduring struggles today and everyday.”

The next court date is a status conference set for March 15.

Pictured: Rentboy.com offices raided in August

View Hurant/Rentboy indictment

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More