Judge Rejects Pimping Charges Against Backpage Officials

Judge Rejects Pimping Charges Against Backpage Officials

UPDATE (6 p.m. PST): According to legal newspaper The Recorder, the judge has now said he won't dismiss the pimping charges just yet and would like more briefings from both sides before deciding whether to make the tentative ruling final.

SACRAMENTO — A judge on Wednesday tossed criminal pimping charges against the chief executive and controlling shareholders of Backpage.com.

In his tentative ruling, Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Michael Bowman said that Section 230 of the federal Communications Decency Act shielded defendants because they could not be prosecuted for content posted by third parties.

California Attorney General Kamala Harris last month brought charges against Backpage CEO Carl Ferrer, alongside shareholders Michael Lacey and James Larkin.

Harris’ office said they found numerous instances in which Backpage received fees from ads for escorts under the age of 18. Those minors lived in Los Angeles, Sacramento and Santa Clara counties, the complaint said.

Harris said that undercover agents responded to ads and met women and girls who described how they used the website to find Johns.

Ferrer separately was accused of taking content posted by Backpage customers and publishing it also on related websites, including BigCity.com and EvilEmpire.com.  

Backpage defendants argued at court that the ads at the center of the pimping charges were posted by third parties and that the state offered no evidence that the defendants knew ads placed by escort services were solicitations for sex.

"Congress has spoken on this matter and it is for Congress, not this court, to revisit," Bowman wrote.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More