AG Gonzales: Attorney Was Fired Over Obscenity Case Commitment

WASHINGTON — Attorney General Alberto Gonzales explained the reasoning behind the firing of eight U.S. attorneys in December, after undergoing intense questioning by several U.S. senators during today's congressional hearing — and confirmed that Daniel Bogden of Nevada was fired over concerns regarding his commitment to pursuing obscenity cases.

Gonzales was summoned by the Senate Judiciary Committee today for a day-long hearing over the firing of eight U.S. attorneys in December. Gonzales has maintained his belief that "nothing improper occurred" and that the attorneys were fired for "performance-related" reasons. It appears some of these reasons may have in fact been related to policy issues.

Gonzales told the court that he had concerns regarding Bogden's "level of energy" and commitment to the pursuit of obscenity cases, adding that the decision was Gonzales' "closest call."

Documents show that there was hesitation to fire him because he may have had trouble finding a new job. According to media reports, Gonzales' former chief of staff later confirmed to Congress that Bogden was unmarried, and the decision was made.

"At the end of the day," Gonzales said, "we felt it was the right decision."

Another attorney in question was Paul Charlton of Arizona for his role in the JM Productions obscenity trial. A motion to dismiss obscenity charges against a distributor of four JM titles argued that the U.S. government had overseen the sale of the titles in question, and therefore an obscenity case could not be brought to trial.

Gonzales said that Charlton had fallen out of favor with Justice Department officials after arguing to reconsider the decision of a capital murder case; however, emails later released to Congress reveal that this wasn't in fact why Charlton was given the boot. Most concerning to the Judiciary Committee is that the emails seem to imply that officials had been seeking a reasonable explanation for purging Charlton after they already made their final decision to fire him.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

Show More