Email Privacy Case Dismissed Following Passage of CLOUD Act

Email Privacy Case Dismissed Following Passage of CLOUD Act

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court yesterday dropped a case on its docket that probed whether emails and other data stored overseas are subject to U.S. search warrants.

Justices ditched the case after the CLOUD Act was signed into law in late March.

The piece of legislation was buried deep in a $1.3 trillion spending bill and makes clear that warrants can apply to data that U.S.-based companies store around the world. 

“The CLOUD Act forces U.S. companies to provide user data and communications requested by subpoena or search warrant, regardless of where the information is stored,” industry attorney Lawrence Walters told XBIZ. “Previously, a court ruled that Microsoft was not required to provide emails stored on foreign servers when requested by a U.S. warrant.

“The case was set to be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court, however passage of the CLOUD Act mooted the legal challenge. 

Walters said that many privacy advocates have criticized the law as not being sufficiently protective of Fourth Amendment rights over searches and seizures, and subject to abuse by those seeking information about citizens of foreign countries who may have more robust privacy rights in the data.

“While the Act does not target adult industry operators, it should be clear that data cannot be hidden on foreign servers operated by U.S. companies,” Walters said. “Such data is now subject to search in response to a proper subpoena or warrant directed to a U.S. service provider.”

And that warrant must be based on probable cause, industry attorney Paul Cambria told XBIZ. "That lets them go beyond the shores to acquire the data."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More