Italy's Far-Right Pushes Vote on Default Online Block for Adult Content

Italy's Far-Right Pushes Vote on Default Online Block for Adult Content

ROME — Next Monday, Italy’s Camera, their equivalent to the House of Representatives, is due to vote on a lengthy piece of legislation concerning wiretapping and several other issues. Simone Pillon, a representative from the far-right Lega (formerly Lega Nord, or “Northern League”) party, has inserted an amendment requiring all adult sites be automatically blocked by device manufacturers and at the ISP level, with subscribers having to call in individually and request the block to be lifted.

Pillon’s amendment passed the legislative committee last week and is heading to the Camera.

Pillon is known in Italian politics as an “ultra-Catholic,” and has tried similar tactics in the past against access to abortion and LGBT rights.

According to La Repubblica newspaper, Pillon’s amendment to the so-called “Wiretapping Bill” calls itself “Systems for the Protection of Minors From the Risks of Cyberspace” and demands “parental control systems” to be installed as a default, offered free of charge, and only to be deactivated at the request of the consumer.

The legislation makes the ISP liable for any connection that would allow free access to adult content.

The Lega is a minority party, but the Camera’s procedures and timelines ensured that those who oppose the proposal — considering it censorship — could not revise the amendment.

Pillon called the default parental block “the thing that is closest to my heart: the introduction of the obligation for suppliers of mobile phones, tablets, laptops, TVs and other devices to pre-install a filter free of charge to block violent, pornographic or inappropriate content for minors.”

"I hope that in this way the many children who, like mine, will now have daily access to the internet will be made safe, given the need for distance learning," Pillon told La Repubblica. "A small gift from the great family of the Lega to all the mothers and dads who want to protect their little ones from the dangers of the web.”

Italian lawyer and internet specialist Fulvio Sarzana told La Repubblica that the amendment will increase “the risk of merely favoring internet censorship” and mentioned U.S. and U.K. precedents where similar moves have been successfully challenged in the courts and public debates.

Stefano Quintarelli, an Italian expert who advises the E.U. on artificial intelligence, commented that Pillon’s proposed rule “is inapplicable.”

“Who determines what inappropriate content is? And how to filter encrypted content, taking into account that everything is encrypted on the web now?” Quintarelli asked.

Italy’s top female porn star Valentina Nappi expressed her concern on Twitter and added that Pillon's move might prompt her "to enter politics” to fight the Lega’s censorship proposals.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

STD Hero Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Better Life Science brand STD Hero has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

Show More