Fiji Politicians Ramp Up Efforts to Ban Online Porn

Fiji Politicians Ramp Up Efforts to Ban Online Porn

SUVA, Fiji — Fiji politicians have ramped up rhetoric linking adult content with sexual violence and calling for limiting access to adult sites in the island nation in order to “protect Fiji’s children,” following the announcement that the Anti-Pornography Taskforce established in February will convene in September to gather stakeholder input.

The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) backed the efforts of government anti-porn crusaders by releasing controversial statistics attempting to tie sex crimes involving minors to adult content viewership.

Efforts to ban porn in the country are being spearheaded by the taskforce’s co-chairperson, Fiji’s Minister for Women, Children, and Social Protection Lynda Tabuya.

“With the internet reaching even the most remote areas, it’s imperative that we ensure it is used responsibly to protect Fiji’s children from its harmful impacts,” Tabuya told the Fiji Sun earlier this month.

Tabuya added over the past weekend that she believes “there is a link between pornography and the increased rates of sexual violence” among minors, because adult content is “readily available” to the people of Fiji.

Although Tabuya has been affiliated with the religiously inspired group Fiji Free From Porn and co-chairs the very plainly named Anti-Pornography Taskforce, in her most recent comments she said only that the taskforce is looking at ways to “regulate pornography and to ban access of pornography to children.”

Tabuya linked her efforts to the country’s adoption of Elon Musk’s satellite internet technology.

“With Starlink coming and all these other ways to increase connectivity in our country we have to be more responsible,” she added. “There needs to be an education and awareness on the responsible use of the internet and of social media.”

Main Image: Fiji’s leading anti-porn politician, Minister for Women, Children, and Social Protection Lynda Tabuya.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More