Tech Companies Propose 'Safety Codes' to Comply With Australia's Online Censor

Tech Companies Propose 'Safety Codes' to Comply With Australia's Online Censor

CANBERRA, Australia — A group of Australian trade organizations released on Monday a draft of a proposed online “safety codes” system, comprised of regulations meant to protect children from exposure to online pornography and other material categorized as “harmful content.” 

The proposed rules, which could become enforceable if ratified by the country’s controversial eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant, were developed by the Digital Industry Group Inc. (DIGI), the Australian Mobile Telecommunications Alliance, the Consumer Electronics Suppliers Association and the Interactive Games and Entertainment Association.

DIGI, which is actively promoting the proposal and is credited by some reports as its main booster, describes itself as “a not for profit industry association advocating for the digital industry in Australia” and “the industry association for companies that invest in online safety, privacy, cyber security and a thriving Australian digital economy.”

Its members are all large multinational corporations, including Apple, Discord, eBay, Google, Meta, Microsoft, Pinterest, Snapchat parent company Snap, Spotify, TikTok, Twitch, X and Yahoo. 

XBIZ confirmed that Free Speech Coalition (FSC) was consulted in drafting this system, which directly targets adult content and would affect access to adult sites in Australia. When reached, FSC was still reviewing the proposal to assess how much of its input had been included.

According to News.com.au, the codes “could become enforceable by the eSafety Commissioner if accepted for registration under the Online Safety Act 2021.”

Big Tech Following Inman Grant's Directives

As XBIZ reported, the Online Safety Act essentially established the eSafety Commissioner as Australia’s de facto online censor. Currently, the post is held by Inman Grant, an unelected American-Australian former tech executive who has acknowledged having had conversations with U.S.-based, religiously-inspired lobby NCOSE — formerly Morality in Media — and even appeared on an NCOSE podcast at the Coalition to End Sexual Exploitation summit in July 2021, shortly after the Australian Parliament passed the OSA.

According to the Australian Associated Press (AAP), the codes follow a directive by Inman Grant to companies to protect children from Class 1C and Class 2 material, which include “pornography, simulated gambling in computer games and ‘high-impact material’ depicting nudity, violence, drug use, crime, suicide, racism or family breakdowns that would otherwise receive an R18+, X18+ or RC classification.”

The directive mandates “tools to let users block pornographic images sent to them,” as well as “ways to report breaches, and terms and conditions to prohibit sexual extortion, grooming and non-consensual intimate image sharing,” AAP reported.

DIGI’s Director of Regulatory Affairs and Research Policy Jennifer Duxbury described the draft online safety codes as “a critical step forward in keeping children safe from pornography and inappropriate content,” News.com.au reported.

“The draft safety codes we’ve released today are a joint effort between companies committed to online safety and the government to strengthen safeguards for minors when it comes to online pornography and age-inappropriate content,” Duxbury said. “The key principles of these codes are to protect and support children, provide all end users, including parents, with more control over what their children see, read and hear and to protect privacy and online safety. 

“Importantly, the draft online safety codes will also include measures such as how digital platforms will approach age assurance,” she added. “Once finalized, these draft safety codes will make an invaluable contribution to protecting children from online pornography and other harmful content.”

Duxbury also said DIGI was encouraging “all stakeholders, including consumer organizations, civil society groups, academics, industry, parents and community members, to have their say on the draft codes and provide feedback.”

Public consultation about the proposed ratings system is open until Nov. 22, and can be accessed through OnlineSafety.org.au.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More