'Cash-Strapped' U of Wisconsin Spent Over $130K Investigating Joe Gow

'Cash-Strapped' U of Wisconsin Spent Over $130K Investigating Joe Gow

LA CROSSE, Wis. — The Universities of Wisconsin reportedly spent over $130,000 investigating recently terminated communications professor and former Chancellor Joe Gow for creating and appearing in adult content.

An invoice provided by the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE), an organization that assisted in Gow’s legal defense, shows that the UW system paid legal firm Husch Blackwell $133,365.75 “for professional services rendered and costs advanced through April 30, 2024.”

Husch Blackwell was engaged by the Universities of Wisconsin to investigate allegations of misconduct against Gow, according to the invoice.

The document goes on to detail the specifics of the investigation, which included analysis of documents, books, social media and videos — presumably including Gow’s amateur pornography — as well as witness interviews and forensic review of multiple electronic devices.

The money, which ultimately comes from Wisconsin taxpayers, was spent at the same time that the university system was preparing to ask Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers for nearly a billion dollars in state funding, according to an August AP report.

“Universities of Wisconsin regents agreed overwhelmingly on Aug. 22 to ask Gov. Tony Evers for an additional $855 million for the cash-strapped system in the 2025-27 state budget,” the report says. 

As XBIZ reported last month, Gow was first fired as chancellor, and later, following a hearing, stripped of his tenure and terminated, for posting adult videos with his wife on an OnlyFans account.

FIRE Faculty Legal Defense Counsel Zach Greenberg expressed dismay at a public university spending such a large amount on investigating Gow's activities in the midst of crying poverty.

“Professor Gow’s pornography remains protected by the First Amendment and should never have prompted a misconduct investigation,” Greenberg said. “Wisconsin taxpayers should be outraged that their money is being wasted on witch hunts. Even one dollar is too much to spend on censorship.”

In an exclusive interview with XBIZ on the day he was formally fired, Gow emphasized the political and fiscal calculations behind his termination.

“What we’re seeing here today is the system president and the Board of Regents saying, ‘We don’t want to get a lot of grief from the far right, because we want to get our funding. So let’s just fire this guy ... we’ll do what the politicians want.’”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More