Hotline Sees Spike in Child Porn Reports

IRELAND – Dublin-based Internet child pornography watchdog Hotline issued a warning this week that there has been a notable increase in the amount of suspected child porn cases reported via its anonymous online reporting system.

Hotline was founded in 1999 to provide a fast and efficient way for Internet users to file reports when they come across child porn on the Internet, similar to Los Angeles-based Adult Sites Against Child Pornography (ASACP). The service is funded and supported by the Internet Service Provider Association of Ireland that shares an interest with other ISPs in making sure that online services are not used to disseminate illegal content.

Hotline has found that reports of child porn sightings online have more than doubled between the years of 2001 and 2003, marking an increase of 123 percent.

Additionally, the watchdog group says that none of the sites reported had originated in Ireland, a particular point of pride for many Irish residents who view the battle against child porn as being a critical one.

"With any criminal endeavor, people keep one step ahead of the law," said Paul Durrant, general manager for Hotline.

Over the past two years, Hotline has received 1,792 reports, 70 percent of which were related to child pornography. Of that original number, only 213 turned out to be websites featuring strictly illegal sexual content. Those sites were then passed on to INHOPE, an organization supported by the European Union whose members provide Internet hotline services dealing with illegal content over the Internet.

Theories as to why there has been a rise in the amount of child porn reports vary from a change in search engine algorithms, to a stronger participation level from web users who want to see child porn eradicated from the web.

ASACP has seen a similar increase in suspected child porn websites and has been in close contact with other hotlines experiencing the same spike in numbers.

Executive Director Joan Irvine told XBiz that in March alone, ASACP received more than 5,000 reports, an increase of 1,000 from the previous month. From that number, 350 websites were reported to authorities, compared to 100 that were reported in the previous month.

"This is a very significant increase in the number of valid new suspect child pornography sites reported to authorities," said Irvine.

"This is the largest increase in new suspect child pornography companies and websites with new content that I have seen in over six years," said Tim Henning, the Site Reviewer for ASACP. "It is too early to say if this is a trend towards an even larger proliferation of child pornography on the Internet than was previously reported over the past several years or just a statistical blip. The next few months will give us a clearer picture as to what could turn out to be a frightening trend.”

ASACP will be attending a meeting of 25 other international hotlines (INHOPE.org) in Rome next week where Irvine will have an opportunity to discuss this concerning statistic among many other issues.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More