Vodafone Requiring Age Check for Wireless Porn

WEST BERKSHIRE, U.K. — Claiming to be the first mobile phone operator in the world to launch a system to control Internet access, Vodafone is barring some customers from logging onto adult websites through their handsets in a bid to keep children away from porn.

Vodafone users in Western Europe now will need to prove they are over 18 before firewalls are lifted on adult websites or chat rooms.

A filter will be used to identify adult websites, and Vodafone customers will have to provide credit card data either online, by phone, or by visiting a customer service center to remove the filter.

Other Western European mobile operators, including Orange, mmO2 and Virgin Mobile, currently are working on similar devices to create age verification.

At May’s Adult Online Europe conference in Amsterdam, the companies said they are trying to find more revenue through the lucrative porn market.

Gartner, an industry research company, estimates that sexual content over mobile phones will generate $1.5 billion in revenue in Western Europe next year, or about 5.1 percent of the total market for mobile data.

“Wireless is the next great frontier," “Naked News” executive producer David Warga told XBiz last month. “This is just the next step in a logical progression.”

Toronto-based Naked Broadcasting Network Inc. recently signed a deal with Icemobile BV to provide "Naked News" content to wireless cell phones in Western Europe.

That deal is one of many that adult companies are making with next-generation wireless providers.

West Berkshire, U.K.-based Vodafone, for example, has introduced adult content through its “Vodafone Live” portal in 10 out of the 16 markets where the portal is available.

Netcollex, a British company that offers both soft and hard porn over cell phones, said that in 12 months it had signed up 67,000 customers to see a short porn video.

In the United States, however, the combination of porn and next-generation cell phones hasn’t yet caught on.

Several companies are planning to launch adult content through Internet-ready wireless phones, but have yet to actually do it.

Henderson, Nev.-based Mobile Media gave the service a beta testing in the first two months of the year, offering adult video from Canoga Park, Calif.-based Wicked Pictures on the Sprint PCS network, but the company has not yet launched the service.

Sprint PCS became the first telecom in the nation to offer TV broadcasts through cell phones using MobiTV, a service offered by Berkeley, Calif.-based Idetic Inc, which offers 14 mainstream channels ranging from ABC News to CNET to CNBC.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More