Child-Porn Blocking Law Tossed by U.S. Court

PHILADELPHIA —A federal judge on Friday tossed a Pennsylvania law that required Internet service providers to block customers from viewing child porn.

U.S. District Judge Jan E. DuBois said that today’s technology can’t be implemented “without excessive blocking of innocent speech in violation of the First Amendment."

“[The state] is permanently enjoined from taking any action against an ISP for failing to comply with an informal notice or court order issued pursuant to the Internet Child Pornography Act,” DuBois wrote.

The state enacted the law in 2002 that gave the Attorney General the power to fine ISPs up to $30,000 and hand out jail terms of up to seven years to company executives who don’t block customers from viewing websites that had been fingered by the state as containing illegal content.

The Attorney General’s office searched the Internet for child porn and also set up a web page that allowed Pennsylvania residents to report instances of child porn.

The office then "sent about 500 informal notices to the ISPs through whose services the offending material had been accessed, asking the ISPs to disable their subscribers' access to the sites. The ISPs generally wrote in response that they had complied with the notice," according to court papers.

The Pennsylvania law, collectively known as §§ 7621-7630, gave an ISP five days to block access to the website after receiving notice.

With the ruling, lawyers for the state said the technology exists for ISPs to block selectively and blamed Internet companies for not wanting to upgrade their systems.

They also argued that "a URL is neither a person, nor a real forum, nor a limited commodity," and that blocking access to web sites doesn’t interfere with free speech.

"Disablement of an ISP's customers' access to a particular URL for even an indefinite time does not implicate First Amendment rights," state attorneys said in a brief.

But lawyers for the Center for Democracy and Technology and the American Civil Liberties Union argued the technology used to block those websites was less than on-target.

CDT attorneys said that 1.5 million websites that don’t contain child porn have also been blocked since the attorney general's office started sending out notices to ISPs in April 2002.

The case is Center for Democracy and Technology, American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania and PlantageNet Inc. vs. Gerald Pappert, Attorney General, No. 03-5051.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

STD Hero Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Better Life Science brand STD Hero has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

2026 XBIZ Miami Speaker, Open-Floor Conversation Guide Lineup Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full speaker lineup for XBIZ Miami, the latest edition of the adult industry’s premier summer conference, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in Miami Beach.

2026 XBIZ Miami Conference Schedule Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full show schedule for XBIZ Miami, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in South Beach.

Show More