University Task Force Opposes Porn Filters

AUSTIN, Texas – A University of Texas System task force submitted recommendations opposing the use of pornography filtering technology to the school system’s chancellor this week, according to a statement released on the UT System’s website.

Noting that, “[T]he pursuit of knowledge is an indispensable component of higher education,” the Electronic Media Standards Task Force recommended that university policies be revised to more closely follow state law and that strong leadership be used to deal with improper computer usage instead of a filtering system.

“Pornography is not illegal,” Mike Godfrey, general counsel for the UT System and head of the task force, told Daily Texan reporters. “We should not be making moral judgments based on its use.”

The task force expressed concern that automatic filtering systems may deny students and faculty access to valuable information.

“People do study pornography for academic purposes,” Godfrey said.

The report also recommended the UT System emphasize that use of university computers is limited to tasks related to the university’s mission or personal activities that don’t have a cost associated with them.

Illegal and commercial activities, as well as creating a hostile work environment, would still be prohibited by the task force’s recommendations.

Other suggestions included replacing all mention of “pornographic material” with “obscene material,” creating a graduated penalty process for infractions of university policy, and carefully explaining examples of acceptable and unacceptable behavior.

The task force was appointed by Chancellor Mark Yudof after 10 Health Science Center employees were investigated for looking at pornography while on the job last year.

The report has been posted on the UT System website in order to solicit comments before the chancellor announces his decision on Oct. 15.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More