Opposition Filed In FCC Fox Hunt

WASHINGTON — Fox Broadcasting Co. filed documents in opposition to $1.2 million in FCC fines Friday, claiming that the government regulator’s indecency rulings are obsolete and unconstitutional and that it invented a new class of indecency just to punish the broadcasting giant.

In the filings, Fox — fined after its affiliates aired an episode of “Married By America” that showed bachelor and bachelorette parties — argued that the FCC’s 25-year-old indecency rules do not take into account the technological changes that have occurred in recent years.

The filings also cite Reno vs. ACLU, a 2003 Supreme Court decision that struck down a law that restricted Internet content because the government’s definition of indecency was unconstitutionally vague.

“Given the tremendous technological changes that have transformed the modern media environment, the commission simply cannot justify an intrusive, content-specific regulation of broadcasters,” wrote Fox attorneys in the filings. “The massive expansion of cable and satellite video programming, together with the advent of the Internet, renders obsolete the second-class treatment of broadcasters under the First Amendment.”

According to Fox, the program did not show nudity or sexual acts and should not be ruled indecent, but the FCC said that the “sexual nature” of the scenes shown was unavoidable.

Fox, though, points out that the FCC’s Indecency Policy Statement, which states how indecency should be identified and handled, doesn’t even contain the phrase “sexual nature,” and that no previous indecency case has ever used that standard.

“The Commission’s use of this new standard only serves to underscore the vagueness and its entire indecency regime,” Fox said in its filing. “There is simply no way that broadcasters could have been on notice that they would be held liable for scenes that are merely ‘sexual in nature.’”

“Indeed, programs too numerous to mention and fitting into widely divergent genres contain scenes that could be described as ‘sexual in nature,’” Fox said. “The commission’s new standard threatens to implicate much of the day-time and prime-time line-ups for nearly all of broadcast television — and it already is chilling protected speech.”

Fox also points out several inaccuracies in the notice of apparent liability and forfeiture filed by the FCC against the broadcasting giant and takes issue with

In the notice, the regulatory agency said that it had received 159 complaints about the program in question, but a Freedom of Information Act request revealed that only 90 complaints had been received and that those 90 complaints had been filed by 23 different people.

Also noted in the FOIA response was that, of those 90 complaints, all but four were identical because most were generated by a website, and that only one of the complainants said they had watched the program.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Ofcom Fines OnlyFans Parent Company Over Inaccurate Age Verification Reporting

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom has fined OnlyFans parent company Fenix International Ltd. $1.36 million for inaccurate reporting of its age verification measures.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

Age Verification Watch: Michigan Joins the AV Club, Some Laws Just Make No Sense

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Free Speech Groups Back SCOTUS Appeal of Georgia Strip Club Tax

Two civil liberties organizations filed an amicus brief Tuesday supporting a petition asking the U.S. Supreme Court to hear an appeal in a case involving whether a tax specifically aimed at adult entertainment establishments violates the First Amendment.

Swedish Court Rules LELO Products Do Not Infringe 'Invalid' Satisfyer Patent

A Swedish district court has ruled that a patent filed by Satisfyer parent company EIS GmbH is not valid, and therefore three products from pleasure brand LELO are not in violation.

North Dakota House Committee Questions Anti-Porn 'Public Health Hazard' Claim

The North Dakota House of Representatives Education Committee on Monday amended a resolution that would have recognized pornography as a “public health hazard,” instead replacing that language with a call for further study into whether such a designation is appropriate.

Wyoming Governor Signs Age Verification Law

Wyoming Governor Mark Gordon signed the state's new age verification bill into law yesterday.

Florida Bill Would Auto-Filter Porn for All Users, Not Just Minors

Florida lawmakers have introduced legislation to require manufacturers to equip tablets and smartphones with a filter that would prevent all users from accessing material deemed harmful to minors, to be automatically enabled on devices activated in that state.

Show More