Ex-AOL Employee Guilty in Spam Case

NEW YORK — A former America Online employee who allegedly stole 92 million screen names and sold them to spammers finally was able to plead guilty to conspiracy charges on Friday, after his original guilty plea was rejected in December.

Jason Smathers, 24, had his original plea rejected by Judge Alvin Hellerstein because the judge was not convinced an actual crime had occurred.

Smathers now faces between 18 months and two years in prison and mandatory restitution that could range from $200,000 to $400,000, which the government estimates AOL spent dealing with the roughly seven billion unsolicited emails that resulted from the address sale.

Hellerstein, who mentioned during previous proceedings that he had canceled his AOL account after receiving massive amounts of junk email, originally rejected the please because he was unsure whether Smathers had violated the portion of the Can-Spam act that requires spam to be both annoying and deceptive.

“Everybody has spamsters, but mine is a technical question,” Hellerstein had said. “I don’t think [the email in this case was] deceptive or misleading to the recipient.”

During Friday’s proceeding, Hellerstein said prosecutors had given him a sufficient explanation for why Smathers had violated the law.

Smathers was accused of stealing the list of email addresses after he was fired from AOL last June. Prosecutors said that he then sold the list to Las Vegas resident Sean Dunaway, who wanted to use it to promote an offshore gambling website. Smathers said he received $28,000 in exchange for the email addresses.

Charges against Dunaway are still pending.

Hellerstein’s confusion about whether the Can-Spam Act actually had been violated echoed similar concerns express by U.S. lawmakers when the bill was passed in November 2003.

“The bill doesn’t can spam, it legalizes it,” Debra Bowen, a California state senator told the New York Times. “It’s full of loopholes. It’s difficult to enforce. It’s weaker than many state laws.”

Eight state attorneys general who sit on the Internet committee of the National Association of Attorneys General also wrote a letter to the legislature, saying that the Can-Spam Act “creates so many loopholes, exceptions and high standards of proof, that it provides minimal consumer protections and creates too many burdens for effective enforcement.”

Smathers will be sentenced on May 20.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More