Alleged Mobsters Plead to Adult Internet Fraud

NEW YORK — Six men allegedly associated with organized crime, including the son of an imprisoned Gambino consiglieri, pleaded guilty on Monday to taking part in the largest consumer fraud in U.S. history and bilking consumers out of more than $650 million in false Internet and phone charges.

The pleas, along with roughly $23.4 million in surrendered assets, brings to an end the wire fraud case that began within an Federal Trade Commission sanction in 2001.

“The guilty pleas not only ensure that the perpetrators of one of the largest consumer frauds in history will serve significant time in prison, but they will also forfeit the spoils of their crimes, including luxury homes and other significant assets, which will be used to compensate the victims of their crimes,” said U.S. Attorney Roslynn R. Mauskopf.

In a 2003 indictment, prosecutors alleged that the men were involved in a two-pronged scheme to defraud users using both 1-800 phone numbers and “free” tours of adult websites.

According to the indictment, the group trapped callers to the phone numbers and then charged them recurring monthly charges for things like “voice-mail services.”

The scheme also involved offering Internet users access to “free” website tours in exchange for “verifying” their ages by taking their credit card information. The users were then billed between $20 and $90 a month.

“The defendants bilked thousands of unwitting consumers in the United States, Europe and Asia of more than $200 million through bogus free tours of adult entertainment websites, which resulted in fraudulent charges on the credit cards of more than a million consumers,” Mauskopf said.

The scheme was so profitable, according to the Department of Justice, that it allowed those involved to purchase the Cass County Telephone Co. in Peculiar, Mo., and the Garden City Bank in Garden City, Mo. The conspirators then used both properties to engage in more fraudulent behavior, according to the government.

Robert Nardoza, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney of the Eastern District of New York, told XBiz that the guilty pleas came on the first day of jury selection for the trial and was preceded by an entire weekend of plea bargain discussions.

The accused men agreed to the deal only after the government dropped the organized-crime racketeering allegations that had been leveled against them.

The six men who pleaded guilty include: Salvatore LoCascio, son of imprisoned Gambino consiglieri, who admitted to money laundering and faces up to 10 years in prison and agreed to forfeit $4.7 million; Richard Martino, a supposed capo within the Gambino family, who pleaded to conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, and conspiracy to commit extortion and will forfeit $15 million and faces up to 10 years in jail; and Zef Mustafa, who pleaded guilty to money laundering and faces up to 10 years in jail and a $1.7 million forfeiture.

The other three men, Daniel Martino, Thomas Pugliese and Andrew Campo, all pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and face up to five years in prison and forfeitures ranging from $300,000 to $1.5 million.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Ofcom: Age Assurance Going Live Across 'Thousands' of Porn Sites

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom said in a statement Thursday that providers of online pornography are implementing age assurance across “thousands of sites” accessible in the U.K., in response to Ofcom’s Online Safety Act (OSA) enforcement program.

ASGMax Debuts 'Roleplay' AI Chat Feature

Alpha Studio Group (ASG) has introduced the ASGmax Roleplay AI chat feature.

XBIZ Miami's Host Hotel Sold Out, General Registration Now Open

Guest rooms at XBIZ Miami’s exclusive conference venue, Nautilus Sonesta Miami Beach hotel in South Beach, are now completely sold out.

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Show More