LexisNexis Probe May Be Tied to Hilton Cellphone Hack

LOS ANGELES — The ongoing investigation of hackers breaking into LexisNexis’ database may be tied to the theft of celebrity contact numbers and topless photos from the cellphone of Paris Hilton, an FBI spokesman said.

Investigators last week seized computers and other evidence from several individuals as part of a nationwide probe of the LexisNexis breach, in which the hackers gained access to 310,000 personal records.

The FBI said it is investigating whether the suspects used email pretending to contain child pornography to trick people into downloading software capable of capturing passwords needed to infiltrate LexisNexis' computers.

One of the hackers posed as a T-Mobile supervisor to get another employee to reveal a password into its network to get Hilton's cellphone data, FBI officials said. Later, conspiring hackers exploited a software flaw in the system.

Earlier this year, several websites published topless Hilton photos, private notes and phone numbers of her celebrity friends.

So far three people have been served search warrants in California, Minnesota and North Carolina, according to FBI spokesman Paul Bresson, who noted that his agency is working in concert with the Secret Service over the break-ins.

According to the FBI, the LexisNexis breach was set in motion by a blast of spam that included a message urging recipients to open an attached file to view child pornography. The attachments had nothing to do with child porn but the files contained a program that allowed the hackers to record anything a recipient typed on the surfer’s computer keyboard.

A police officer in Florida was among those who opened the infected email message, according to a report in the Washington Post. Not long after his computer was infected with the keystroke-capturing program, the officer logged on to his department's account at Accurint, a LexisNexis service provided by Florida-based subsidiary Seisint Inc., which sells access to consumer data. Other police officers' login information may have been similarly stolen.

The hackers apparently then created a series of sub-accounts using the police department's name and billing information, the Post said.

Over several days, the group looked up thousands of names in the database, including friends and celebrities. The law enforcement source said members of the group eventually began selling Social Security numbers and other sensitive consumer information to a ring of identity thieves in California.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More