.XXX Rejection Gets Replayed by Australia News Site

SYDNEY — It’s been about a year since ICANN rejected ICM Registry’s .XXX proposal, but the story surrounding its defeat was resurrected and took on a life of its own Monday.

ICANN spokesman Jason Keenan told XBIZ that Monday’s news report on Australia’s ITNews website claiming .XXX was rejected for a third time was bogus. He said the news posting was simply the case of a journalist not doing his homework.

“Apparently one of the reporters saw old footage from a BBC video and wrote a story about the defeat of .XXX,” Keenan said. “As we all know, that was last year’s news.”

ICM Registry’s proposal was shot down 9-5 last March in Lisbon as the Internet policy-making board put the brakes on a virtual red light district. ICANN rejected .XXX proposals also in 2004 and 2006.

Jupiter, Fla.-based ICM Registry set out to demonstrate the support of the sponsored community by stating 76,723 .XXX adult website were pre-reserved. It also claimed that 1,217 adult webmasters from more than 70 countries registered on ICM’s site saying that they supported .XXX and wished to register a name.

It pledged to donate $10 of the proposed annual fee of $60 for a .XXX domain name to child-protection groups and to require users of .XXX to label their content.

Debates, including one at last year’s XBIZ Hollywood Conference that focused on the measure, were heated, with the majority in the online adult community firmly opposed to it.

Efforts to reach ITNews editors on the matter went unsuccessful Tuesday, but ICM Registry President Stuart Lawley said he too was perplexed by Monday’s report, which was picked up by other news sites and numerous blogs.

“Bizarre,” Lawley told XBIZ “I think the doxy Australian journalist was reporting on last year's news.”

ICANN’s Keenan said that so far there have been no efforts to resurrect .XXX.

“It’s pretty much dead,” he said.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Ofcom: Age Assurance Going Live Across 'Thousands' of Porn Sites

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom said in a statement Thursday that providers of online pornography are implementing age assurance across “thousands of sites” accessible in the U.K., in response to Ofcom’s Online Safety Act (OSA) enforcement program.

ASGMax Debuts 'Roleplay' AI Chat Feature

Alpha Studio Group (ASG) has introduced the ASGmax Roleplay AI chat feature.

XBIZ Miami's Host Hotel Sold Out, General Registration Now Open

Guest rooms at XBIZ Miami’s exclusive conference venue, Nautilus Sonesta Miami Beach hotel in South Beach, are now completely sold out.

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Show More