Controversial Author Banned From the U.S.

NEWARK, N.J.— Author Sebastian Horsley was banned from entering the U.S. last week, after several hours of questioning by U.S. Customs agents at New Jersey’s Newark airport.

The controversial writer was to appear in the U.S. for a promotional tour for his new book, but was accused of “moral turpitude” and promptly put on a plane to be returned to England.

Horsely’s novel “Dandy in the Underworld” is slated to be released in the U.S. this month, by HarperCollins Publishers. The book, which has already been released in the U.K., is Horsley’s writings on his dysfunctional family life, drug use and patronage of more than 1,000 prostitutes, as well as his own sexual adventures as a one-time male escort.

Officials prevented his being allowed in the country in connection with his apparent drug use and pro-prostitution stance.

"It is unfortunate that his voice, in person, is being stifled," HarperCollins Publisher Carrie Kania said in a statement. "Sebastian has written a cautionary tale of a life lived vividly — an unapologetic, honest, funny and torturous book. Sebastian's memoir is about choice, some conventional, some unconventional."

Horsely, who was traveling under a waiver program that allows U.K. citizens to enter the U.S. with a visa was subject to refusal, according to U.S. Customs spokesperson Lucille Cirillo. "Travelers who have been convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude, which includes controlled-substance violations, or admit to previously having a drug addiction are not admissible," Cirillo said.

Horsely, who has gained notoriety as a flamboyantly dressed “dandy,” also is an artist with several gallery exhibitions to his credit. His Crucifix Lane Project involved Horsely visiting the Philippines and allowing himself to be nailed to a cross in order to prepare for a series of paintings which resulted.

He wrote a regular column for the Erotic Review, as well as a short-lived sex column in British newspaper The Observer. Horsley’s writings also were included in The World’s Best Sex Writing 2005, published by Running Press Books.

A book launch party in New York that was to be thrown in Horsely’s honor was changed to a support rally, after guests heard he had been denied access at the airport.

“The press coverage has been amazing, awe-inspiring, and frankly inspiring,” Horsley wrote in his MySpace blog. “The press and public are gathering, in some small way, to support honesty and truth.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

UPDATED: Utah VPN Rule Enforcement Paused in Aylo Lawsuit

Provisions of a new Utah law making adult websites liable if minors in the state circumvent geolocation efforts to bypass age verification, which were set to come into force on Wednesday, have been put on hold until Sept. 3 in the case of Aylo, which filed suit in the matter.

Show More