Former N.C. Cop Pleads Guilty to Sending Porn on Cellphone to Minors

SHELBY, N.C. — Former North Carolina police officer David Wayne Coburn pleaded guilty to sending pictures of his genitals to two high school students on their cellphones on Friday.

Coburn, a former officer with the Kings Mountain Police Department, admitted to sending the cell phone pictures of his genitalia to a 15-year-old Kings Mountain High School student and to a now 18-year-old girl.

The 18-year-old girl’s mother was an ex-girlfriend of the defendant, which Assistant District Attorney Beth Lari said was how he had access to the girl's cell phone number.

The mother, who N.C. newspaper the Cleveland County Star did not identify by name, reacted Friday after the court decision, saying she wished jail time could have been part of the sentence.

Unfortunately for her, Coburn pleaded guilty to a Class I felony, which in North Carolina carries no jail time if it’s a first offense.

Lari told “The Star” that Coburn received two consecutive 6-to-8-month sentences, is on probation and must undergo a sex offender evaluation and have no contact with either of the victims. The jail time was suspended.

“He got a short, split sentence because the crime is a Class I felony — he can't by law get prison time,” Cleveland County District Attorney Rick Shaffer said. “For a Class I — such as possession of cocaine, forgery and uttering obscenity — with no prior history, there's no prison time.”

Coburn had been hired in July 2004 as a DARE officer at Kings Mountain Middle School and an officer at Kings Mountain High School.

Coburn reportedly pleaded guilty and did not request or receive a plea bargain.

At the time of his arrest on obscenity charges, Coburn had lost his job because of a DUI arrest by the N.C. Highway Patrol two weeks earlier.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More