McCain Returns Crutchley’s Donation

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — A story in Saturday’s Boston Herald reported that republican presidential candidate John McCain has returned a personal donation made to his campaign from the co-founder/CEO of gay adult networking website Manhunt.net Jonathan Crutchley.

The action from McCain came one day after Crutchley had stepped down from his position as CEO of Manhunt.net, in response to negative backlash from the gay community, once the donation was revealed on socio-political blog Huffington Post.

According to Manhunt co-founder Larry Basile, he asked Crutchley to resign after members of the site began canceling their subscriptions.

Basile, who issued a formal statement on Friday announcing Crutchley’s resignation, said that he was “embarrassed” when he found out about the donation.

In light of McCain’s mixed record toward gay rights and his stance against same-sex marriage, Basile said, “Politically, it was just off-base, with the whole feeling over here at Manhunt.”

Oddly enough, the story received little mainstream media attention even after the donation was made public by Huffington Post. The revelation coincided with a profile story featuring Crutchley and Manhunt.net posted on Out.com, in which the author referred to Crutchley as a “liberal Republican.”

Last week, gay blog Towleroad.com called attention to the situation, and was also the media outlet that Basile sent his formal statement to on Friday, when Crutchley stepped down.

At some point over the weekend, Crutchley was informed that his donation was being returned by the McCain campaign.

Reportedly, the Manhunt.net founder decided, at that point, to give the donation to McCain’s democratic rival and presumptive presidential candidate Barack Obama.

Basile quoted Crutchley as saying, ‘If John is too good for my money, I’ll give it to Barack.’ ”

Apparently, Crutchley has also issued a letter to Manhunt.net employees, explaining his actions and pledging his support to Obama.

Basile also has speculated that the donation will be returned by the Obama campaign, considering the publicity that the situation has already provoked.

“Barack can’t endorse this kind of adult content. It’s sort of like a third rail,” Basile told the Herald. “I would imagine if it’s tough for one, it’s tough for the other.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More