City of Miami Seeks to Shutter CocoDorm

MIAMI — An Aug. 13 article in the “Miami Herald” recently summarized a yearlong attempt by the City of Miami’s Code Enforcement Board to evict CocoDorm.com performers who are living and working in a home in the city’s Edgewater neighborhood.

CocoDorm has filed a countersuit in federal court alleging First Amendment violations.

The Code Enforcement Board ruled last year that CocoDorm was illegally operating an adult business in a residential district. Miami promptly ordered a closure. Adult businesses within city limits are restricted to industrial areas and require specific approval to operate.

CocoDorm’s subsequent federal lawsuit argues several points: the actual residence is not open to the public and order fulfillment is accomplished at a separate location. These facts, CocoDorm argues, disqualify the residence’s classification as an adult business.

They additionally cite a 2001 appeals court ruling in Tampa that allowed VoyeurDorm.com to remain in operation.

“Like Miami, Tampa tried to use its adult-business zoning laws to shut down a webcam-filled house, in this case occupied by women,” the newspaper wrote. “But the appeals court, ruling in the website’s favor, found that VoyeurDorm’s customers weren’t gathering at the Tampa home — or anywhere else in Tampa.”

A jury trial had been set for December. However, CocoDorm’s legal team filed legal documents on Thursday, Aug. 14 asking for a summary judgment in their favor.

FlavaWorks owner Phillip Bleicher expressed puzzlement over the newspaper account.

“Why the ‘Miami Herald’ ran the story now makes no sense,” he told XBIZ. “After all, we’ve just filed for a summary judgment, which we are expected to win, and then the case [will be] settled in CocoDorm’s favor.”

He said Miami has been unsuccessful in closing CocoDorm, “and when we win our judgment as we’re expecting, there will be nothing left for them to do.

“Plus, all of this media attention to the CocoDorm has been great for the site,” Bleicher added. “ Membership is way up and we’re receiving far more applications from [men] wanting to be models.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More