Still No Movement on Ira Isaacs Case

LOS ANGELES — After a week of waiting, the judge in the Ira Isaacs obscenity case still hasn't ruled on a defense motion to dismiss the case based on a claim of double jeopardy.

On Monday, U.S. District Judge George H. King received motions from defense attorney Roger Jon Diamond and the government's legal counsel, Ken Whitted, who serves on the Justice Department's Obscenity Prosecution Task Force.

Diamond told XBIZ that he moved for King to dismiss the case because going forward with the trial again would put his client, Isaacs, on trial for the same charges twice. The case's previous judge, Alex Kozinski, recused himself because of a Los Angeles Times story that revealed he ran a sex-themed website. In doing so, Kozinski called for a mistrial – which Diamond opposed.

"We didn't ask for a mistrial," he said. "We objected to it. We wanted to finish that trial."

A jury in that trial had already been chosen, sworn in and had heard and seen ample evidence. Diamond argued in his motion that another trial would call into play the Fifth Amendment's prohibition against "double jeopardy."

King gave himself a brief recess on Monday to consider the motion, and he originally said he would return in a matter of minutes to deliver his decision. Moments later, he returned and told the court he would need more time to consider the motion. He has yet to hand down a decision.

Diamond said that King has the prerogative to take as much time as he wants to hand down a decision, though Diamond did say it was unusual for him to tell the court he would be back with a quick decision and then take as much time as he has.

"It sounded like he knew what he was going to do," Diamond said.

Although nothing new has happened as of yet, Diamond noted that regardless of the judge's decision, both sides could immediately appeal the decision before the case goes to trial because of the double jeopardy claim involved.

"If the judge rules against us, we wouldn't have to go through the whole trial and then file an appeal based on double jeopardy," Diamond said. "We could file right away."

As for why the judge is taking so long, Diamond could only offer speculation. He suggested that King might be working on a longer, written ruling, or that he might just have other tasks on his calendar.

"What I don't think is that he's been sitting in his chambers this entire time, cogitating over the matter," Diamond joked.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Ofcom Fines OnlyFans Parent Company Over Inaccurate Age Verification Reporting

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom has fined OnlyFans parent company Fenix International Ltd. $1.36 million for inaccurate reporting of its age verification measures.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

Age Verification Watch: Michigan Joins the AV Club, Some Laws Just Make No Sense

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Free Speech Groups Back SCOTUS Appeal of Georgia Strip Club Tax

Two civil liberties organizations filed an amicus brief Tuesday supporting a petition asking the U.S. Supreme Court to hear an appeal in a case involving whether a tax specifically aimed at adult entertainment establishments violates the First Amendment.

Swedish Court Rules LELO Products Do Not Infringe 'Invalid' Satisfyer Patent

A Swedish district court has ruled that a patent filed by Satisfyer parent company EIS GmbH is not valid, and therefore three products from pleasure brand LELO are not in violation.

North Dakota House Committee Questions Anti-Porn 'Public Health Hazard' Claim

The North Dakota House of Representatives Education Committee on Monday amended a resolution that would have recognized pornography as a “public health hazard,” instead replacing that language with a call for further study into whether such a designation is appropriate.

Wyoming Governor Signs Age Verification Law

Wyoming Governor Mark Gordon signed the state's new age verification bill into law yesterday.

Florida Bill Would Auto-Filter Porn for All Users, Not Just Minors

Florida lawmakers have introduced legislation to require manufacturers to equip tablets and smartphones with a filter that would prevent all users from accessing material deemed harmful to minors, to be automatically enabled on devices activated in that state.

Show More