AOL Wins $13 Million Spammer Judgment

RESTON, Va. – Only days after Microsoft claimed victory against a spammer to the tune of $7 million, another Internet giant, America Online, won a similar spam victory – this time against an established “spam gang” known to generate some of the highest volume spam on the Internet.

Under the Can-Spam Act, AOL was granted a $13 million judgment in U.S. District Court in Virginia, including money and goods seized from the defendants’ personal property.

Seized goods from defendant Braden M. Bourneval included computer equipment, $20,000 in gold bars, $75,000 in cash and a 2003 Hummer. AOL has said that it will donate the seized goods to its subscribers in the form of an “AOL Spammer's Gold Sweepstakes.”

AOL’s reasoning for the sweepstakes is that many of its members aided in the search for spammers by using a "Report Spam" button to help AOL and detectives find those responsible.

Bourneval reportedly cooperated with investigators; however, defendant Davis Wolfgang Hawke is still at large and is said to be associated with neo-Nazi groups. The two men earned more than $100,000 per month based on the sale of tax evasion CD-ROMs, male sexual enhancement pills made from ephedra and lie detectors.

AOL reported hundreds of thousands of complaints against the spam the two men were generating, and demanded $100 in damages for each unsolicited email sent.

"This shows that under the tool that Congress gave us with Can-Spam, we can really reach out and touch them, and when we find them, we are going to hurt them badly," AOL’s general counsel said.

Earlier this week, Microsoft’s similar spam settlement marked a new era for companies to go after spammers for compensatory damages under the Can-Spam Act.

Can-Spam provides Internet service providers with legal weapons against those who send unsolicited email, in addition to the seizure of any property that a convicted spammer has obtained using money made from spam profits.

AOL’s sweepstakes will start on Aug. 19, when AOL subscribers and non-subscribers can sign up online for a chance to win the ill-gotten spammer’s goods.

AOL plans to donate the computer equipment seized from the spammers to public schools near its headquarters in Northern Virginia.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More