Manhunt Founder’s Donation to McCain Not Returned

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — A controversial personal donation made by Manhunt.net co-founder and CEO Jonathan Crutchley to John McCain’s presidential campaign was to have been returned, according to published reports. Records now show otherwise.

Manhunt is one of the industry’s largest gay networking websites. It earns an estimated $30 million per year from a primarily gay male customer base, according to an Out magazine profile.

The Politico.com blog examined last month’s campaign finance records and there is no record of the McCain campaign returning Crutchley’s donation.

“Indeed, while the contribution caused a bitter backlash against Crutchley inside the gay political world — and a backlash against that backlash — there was never any indication of a backlash from the Republican side,” Politico’s Ben Smith said.

“McCain has never been well suited to the role of culture warrior, and his aides declined at the time to comment on Crutchley or the contribution,” Smith added.

Crutchley was asked to step down from the Manhunt board of directors after news broke of his $2,300 donation to the McCain presidential campaign.

“According to Manhunt co-founder Larry Basile, he asked Crutchley to resign after members of the site began canceling their subscriptions,” XBIZ reported last month.

Basile issued a formal statement announcing Crutchley’s resignation and said that he was “embarrassed” when he found out about the donation.

In light of McCain’s mixed record toward gay rights and his stance against same-sex marriage, Basile said, “Politically, it was just off-base, with the whole feeling over here at Manhunt.”

Basile subsequently revealed to the Boston Herald that Crutchley has been told the money would be returned.

“So, if Smith is correct, Crutchley’s donation still sits in McCain’s coffers, working hard to defeat gay rights,” wrote gay blogger Andy Towle.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More